How to create fake bridges using Open vSwitch?

dksoft

Apr 17, 2017
Dear Proxmox-fellow,

instead of creating a device with VLAN tag per VM, I would like to create a couple of bridges with that VLAN tag and bind the VM to that bridge.
This can be done on Open vSwitch using fake bridge, e.g. the command "ovs-vsctl add-br <fake bridge> <parent bridge> <VLAN>".

The problem is that I can either create the bridges by hand, but then Proxmox does not recognize them in the GUI.
Or, I can define dummy bridges in the GUI, but then can not create the bridges because they already exist.

Question: Is there any preferred method to create VLAN tagged bridges in Proxmox?

You could create a regular linux-bridge and make it vlan-aware.
Then you can configure your guest to have a network-interface and select the wanted VLAN tag for that interface

Both of this can be directly done in the GUI.

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!