How to configure actual mail server for PMG

rooxr

Nov 11, 2021
Hi,

I've never used a proxy mail gateway and am having a really hard time finding information on how to actually setup my mail server for PMG. The installation instructions are great and I have an instance running smoothly on a PVE.

Now that I have this setup, what do I do to have my email come in to the gateway and then forward to me? Do I change MX records to the gateway (doesn't make total sense to me).

Thanks in advance to whomever can help or point me in the right direction. I've been searching on and off for an answer for weeks and have found just about nothing (which probably means its simple :-/ ) hah!

Cheers,

PMG will intercept all incoming mail to your domain, so you need to configure your domain public MX record to PMG instead of your original email server.
Once you properly configure PMG with your local email server, you can monitor your in/out traffic on your PMG dashboard.

1636680487227.png

Thanks @hata_ph.

Do you have a good resource that explains how to connect my local with the PMG server? Specifically I'm using virtualmin, but very able to just configure it manually if need be.

Ah man I would love a HOWTO for Virtualmin!? We have many Virtualmin clients who are complaining about spam, especially phishing. Virtualmin has SpamAssassin by default but ClamAV is a challenge with at least 2GB RAM just for that.

Example phishing problem: SpamAssassin score = 2.7, need 5.0. Criminals are getting good with their emails.

Fortunately Virtualmin is pretty standard Postfix and open source, so setup should be to some degree straightforward. The proxying part is not that straightforward though. Super scared to break something so will have to make time to set up a test system and then see how far I get.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!