How to backup the whole Proxmox VE 7.2 installation?

bluepr0

Mar 1, 2019
Hey guys!
I've been taking a look at some Proxmox Backup Server videos and it seems you can setup your backup server as a way to dump there your virtual machines. However I'm missing to actually back up EVERYTHING. Let's say that my VE server catches on fire and I need to build a new one. Is there a way to backup the entire configuration, including VMs to restore in a new server?

Thanks!

Just came here and registered to comment on another old thread on this subject, but then I saw this one. So I'll post here instead.
There is a hidden gem in the linux world called Etckeeper (https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/tools-etckeeper). I've been running it on my VM's for a few years now and it works really well. It basically puts your whole /etc folder under source control using Git. It integrates with apt, so system updates are added to the repository for you.

And as it's just plain Git with some hooks you can setup remotes and push your changes there.
I have a Gitea server so I push changes there and then that syncs with a private GitLab repo.
It won't cover things like cron jobs, but for VM and host configuration I think most bases are covered.
Only thing will be to remember to commit new changes when you modify a VM and to push them up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!