How to assign one of valid IP to kvm guest

PauloEmerique

Sep 9, 2012
Hi, I just activated a dedicated server at iWeb.com, willing to run Proxmox on it, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to configure networking.

How can I assign one of my IPs to a kvm guest ?

I had to install Proxmox manually, over Debian Sequeeze 64 which they installed.

It is configured with main IP + 6 additional IPs on eth0 ... follows actual info they provided me:

Primary IP address : 174.142.90.46
Primary IP mask : 255.255.255.224
Gateway : 174.142.90.33

Usable secondary addresses: 174.142.92.17-22
Mask : 255.255.255.248

First I tried to add a bridge vmbr0 on port eth0 ... after reboot couldn't reach server anymore.
Tried creating a bridge on IP/Mask ... tried over primary and secondary IPs ... no communication either way.

The only success communications was using NAT, then could reach internet hosts from VM.

So please help me on correct bridge setup ... and what gateway to use on guest (secondary addresses are not on same subnet as primary address).

Thank you!

Paulo Emerique
http://www.esensetec.com.br

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!