How to address VM's uptime when TrueNAS has a scheduled maintenance shutdown

logui

Feb 22, 2024
I have a home lab with Proxmox, 2 nodes in a cluster, to improve the VM migration time between nodes, I have setup TrueNAS and store the VMs disks in TrueNAS, it all works great, migrations can be done in seconds over a 2.5G ethernet network/switch. With this setup I can move all the VMs from one node to the other one for maintenance, and then move them back, all of that very quickly.

The issue I have now, is that the VM's disks are on the TrueNAS storage, therefore when I have to perform maintenance to the NAS, it doesn't matter I have two nodes in a cluster, I will have downtime in all the VMs.

Is there a way to temporary move the VM's disks from TrueNAS to the Storage of one of the nodes while I am performing maintenance to the TrueNAS server, then when completed, move the VM's disks back to TrueNAS?

I know the other solution is to store the VMs disks on the nodes, but then, the migration time will take longer, specially for VMs with larger disks.

Any idea how to approach this problem? Thank you

Update:

I have tried to do VM -> Hardware -> Hard Disk -> Disk Action -> Move Storage but in the middle of the move process, the Proxmox node receiving the disk from the TrueNAS server, will crash, I have tried with the VM online/offline, about 5 times, Proxmox always crashes, I am running the latest version of it. I can migrate VMs online/offline between nodes in the cluster reliable without any problem, it's just the Disk move that is crashing.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!