How should i design my server

t1jnes

Aug 15, 2024
Hi Guys,

I have a question. We recently bought new HPE DL380 GEN 10 servers.

They are specd with
Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5218 CPU 16 Cores 2X
384 GB ddr4 ram
6 x 1.92TB Enterprise ssd
2 x 480 GB Enterprise ssd
1 x HPE MR416i-p Raid controlelr
How should we setup the storage. We have the current setup in mind but seek some advice

2 x 480GB ssd setup in hpe bios in raid 1 config and use it as our OS storage
6 x 1.92 TB ssd setup in hpe as JBOD and configure them as ZFS storage to store all our vm`s

Do you guys think this will be an good setup. we basically want to run all our vm`s on this and want to make it as safe as possible so we wont lose any data if a disk breaks.

Pass disks in HBA mode (available with your high end hw raid controller) is the best way for ZFS.
Hi Gabriel

Thanks for your response i tried putting the Raid controller into HBA mode but whas not able to locate that option i looked under Smart storage administrator but my Raid controller wont even show up there i dont think this raid card has that option

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!