How is boot ssd partitioned?

pjg91

Apr 28, 2020
Hi Guys,

a Proxmox noob here:

I've used Freenas in the past, but would like to try Proxmox out now;
I've installed it on a 256 gig ssd, as I presumed you can still use the boot drive, not like with freenas.
I'm seeing some strange numbers in the web portal;
With summery I see 1.86 GB of 58.07 used.
with disks- lvm I see a 237 GB one, which is 93% used.
with disks - lvm thin I see an empty 152 GB one.

I'm not fully understanding how this is working, is Proxmox making partitions on my ssd?

Also, I'm adding 4 drives of 3 TB, which I would like to put in raid. I believe it's still better to have my ssd as boot drive, and also as boot drive for my vm's?

Thanks!

Hi!

You probably installed Proxmox VE using LVM. Doing so creates some logical volumes. You can see them with lvs. Those are used in different storages which you can see in Datacenter → Storage or cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg. You can find more information about this in the relevant chapter of the Proxmox VE reference documentation.

Also, I'm adding 4 drives of 3 TB, which I would like to put in raid. I believe it's still better to have my ssd as boot drive, and also as boot drive for my vm's?
You might want to take a look at ZFS for the RAID idea.

Best
Dominic

Hi!

You probably installed Proxmox VE using LVM. Doing so creates some logical volumes. You can see them with lvs. Those are used in different storages which you can see in Datacenter → Storage or cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg. You can find more information about this in the relevant chapter of the Proxmox VE reference documentation.

You might want to take a look at ZFS for the RAID idea.

Best
Dominic

Hi Dominic,

thanks for the reply, I'm indeed planning on using zfs for the raid part :)
Capture.PNG

I'm getting this for those two commands.
I'm indeed seeing 3 partitions, in total they add up to quite a lot less then 256 GB, how are those 3 sizes decided? and is this optimal?

What should not output much less than 256 GB is
Code:
pvs
vgs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!