[SOLVED] How does vzdump handles KVM guest's iSCSI mounts?

Hi forum!

What happens when a vzdump is scheduled (let's say, snapshot, live) on a VM that has, in turn, an iSCSI (but would be same question for cifs, NFS, or whatever) target mounted on its own on its filesystem?
To avoid confussion, I mean PVE being completelly unaware of the guest VM doing that usage of network storage mounted on its own.

When backup triggers ... what happens with the mount point folder of the VM?, is the remote data (potentially huge) added to the backup lzo file? (my guess is that vzdump just backs the VM virtual disk at block device level) ... so my answer would be NO, no remote data, just data on virtual disk ... but I'm not sure!

... I was thinkinng to make a lab and just try, but I guess this is the place to ask for this and avoid rediscovering fire.

Thank you very much in advance.
Best regards

you are completely right, pve does not do anything with that data at all, the backup read the data from the qemu block device and exports it

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!