[SOLVED] How do I login

dave005007

Jan 4, 2024
Sorry, but I'm new to Proxmox and have no understanding of it really at all.

I have tried to guess at the installation, but I'm totally confused about my login details and it asking me to use my web browser.

If I have put in the correct details for this on the installation of my ip address and and DNS I know I have put the correct Gateway in but no clues on the rest of it as far as Im concerned I have no server to go to. I just have my routers and PCS

Any help or anywhere I can try to learn more about this setup would be very helpful. I have ordered a ikoolcore R2 and will take a few weeks for it to arrive so thought it best to start to learn now ready for me to install on that but at the moment I'm practicing on a old laptop

I have tried to guess at the installation, but I'm totally confused about my login details and it asking me to use my web browser.
Choose an IP that is part of your router subnet, that is free (so not used by any other device) and that is not part of your routers DHCP servers IP range with probably a CIDR of "/24". Gateway and DNS should probably be your routers IP address.

Try google or the forum search. Basically every beginner question got asked and answered countless times.

Last edited:
Reactions: dave005007
Choose an IP that is part of your router subnet, that is free (so not used by any other device) and that is not part of your routers DHCP servers IP range with probably a CIRD of "/24". Gateway and DNS should probably be your routers IP address.

Try google or the forum search. Basically every beginner question got asked and answered countless times.
Thank you for this! This is what I have done but no clue what to put into login section tried adding the PVE and it woudl not load up also tried the https: addreess into login section but what ever i tried to add in it did nothing! I also now changed DNS to 1.1.1.1 My ipaddress is on the same subnet as my router as well as 2 pcs and the default gateway is also correct! where do i find the routers DHCP?

Last edited:
First confirm that you can ping and ssh from your desktop to the PVE host.
On your server console you should see the IP address you have configured.
If IP or Subnet/Gateway is wrongfully configured, you need to log on console and change it (nano /etc/network/interfaces) and reboot.

First confirm that you can ping and ssh from your desktop to the PVE host.
On your server console you should see the IP address you have configured.
If IP or Subnet/Gateway is wrongfully configured, you need to log on console and change it (nano /etc/network/interfaces) and reboot.
How can Iping if I cannot get past login? thanks

How can Iping if I cannot get past login? thanks
You ping via console from another machine. Basic feature of every OS. Both Linux and Windows understand the "ping <some.ip.to.ping>" command.

Last edited:
You ping via console from another machine. Basic feature of every OS. Both Linux and Windows understand the "ping <some.ip.to.ping>" command.
Thanks I have never done this ever before so I have no clues on the commenads or where or what I'm pinging too :) I also not used linux much been too busy with other things so this is the first time! And I prob need to learn a lot too sorry! :) I tend to use config/all more than ping

Last edited:
You ping via console from another machine. Basic feature of every OS. Both Linux and Windows understand the "ping <some.ip.to.ping>" command. This is all im getting!
how do i know the PVE to ping it? Also what do i put into the PVE Login? on it booting up. I keep getting Login failed!

Attachments

• cannot log in.jpg
    cannot log in.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
You sit down at your client with Windows, Linux or MAC, open the console and type ping 192.168. and then enter the rest that you pixelated (which is pointless, by the way, since this is a completely private range and pretty much everyone on their network also has it running.)

Otherwise, please post your IP address or the IP configuration of your client here. Because both devices have to be in the same subnet for this to work.

You sit down at your client with Windows, Linux or MAC, open the console and type ping 192.168. and then enter the rest that you pixelated (which is pointless, by the way, since this is a completely private range and pretty much everyone on their network also has it running.)

Otherwise, please post your IP address or the IP configuration of your client here. Because both devices have to be in the same subnet for this to work.
I have ping the ip address that it show me on it's login screen and the ping command from my desktop to the laptop comes back sent 4 and received 4 so that seems ok to me! I then put in root an dadd my password which it then goes to the command prompt so no clue what to do after that? They are also on the same subnet too!

Last edited:
You sit down at your client and type your IP including the port into a browser. There you then enter your root password and you are on the web interface. The server itself does not have a desktop interface; it is administered via the console with commands. You need a client for this.

Reactions: dave005007
You sit down at your client and type your IP including the port into a browser. There you then enter your root password and you are on the web interface. The server itself does not have a desktop interface; it is administered via the console with commands. You need a client for this.
ok so how do I get a client, is the client the Desktop I see on all the videos? where you add iso? when I add in the ipaddress on the login section its still tellign me it cannot log in! do i add the https:// or just the ipaddress andd port number

Last edited:
thank you now I understand how to log in! I was trying on the laptop to log in not my Desktop! :) So the laptop is the server. Is the any easy way to add Ha onto it now?

Attachments

• loged in finely to proxmox.jpg
    loged in finely to proxmox.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I would highly recommend to use the time while waiting for your hardware to learn some linux basics and read some books. Its not that hard to install home assistant. There are plenty on tutorials online. But you probably want to rely on your smart home and for that you should know how to administrate your hypervisor. Thats some years of work if you really want to understand what you are doing without any existing knowledge about networking, linux, virtualization, containerization, ...

I would highly recommend to use the time while waiting for your hardware to learn some linux basics and read some books. Its not that hard to install home assistant. There are plenty on tutorials online. But you probably want to rely on your smart home and for that you should know how to administrate your hypervisor. Thats some years of work if you really want to understand what you are doing without any existing knowledge about networking, linux, virtualization, containerization, ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!