how correctly update via ssh? apt or apt-get?

Iacov

Jan 24, 2024
hey

should I always update pve via the GUI or could I update via ssh and then also reboot via ssh?

the correct command is
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
right? that's the one that also installs dependencies etc?

can I also use apt? I'm used to
Code:
 apt update && apt upgrade
my Linux vms... it would simply help my muscle. memory if I could use that too. or would I nerd another command to. mimic dist-upgrade?

and is reboot the correct command to shut all vms down and do a full reboot or is there something specific to use?

can I also use apt? I'm used to
Code:
 apt update && apt upgrade
my Linux vms... it would simply help my muscle. memory if I could use that too. or would I nerd another command to. mimic dist-upgrade?
Yes, but don't run apt upgrade, always run apt dist-upgrade or apt full-upgrade (like apt-get).

i'll give it a try, thank you
and can i simply reboot via the reboot command in ssh or does this immediately kill my VMs without them being shut down correctly?

and can i simply reboot via the reboot command in ssh or does this immediately kill my VMs without them being shut down correctly?
reboot and shutdown -r now and other command line commands (locally or via remote/SSH login) will work the same as pressing the Shutdown button in the web GUI. Proxmox will stop (in reverse order) all running VMs and CTs gracefully (unless they time out and are stopped or killed).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!