How can I restore backups from a folder

nomadmike

Oct 20, 2022
Thialand
I have added a shared folder to my pbs I can access from my windows machine where I have some backups from a previous pve install

I have tried adding the backups but they don't show in the gui do I need to update the .chunks folder?

or something else thanks.

This is a fresh install of pbs latest version

Hey nomadmike!

You can import the backups from your previous PVE VMs with the vma-to-pbs utility that is documented at [1]. It is meant to be installed on a PVE node with apt install proxmox-vma-to-pbs, where you can also mount the shared folder from your Windows machine as a SMB/CIFS and then transfer all VZDump VM archives (*.vma) as described in the linked Wiki article.

Another method would be to restore the backups directly on the PVE node and afterwards create a backup on the Proxmox Backup Server.

[1] https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php?title=Import_VMA_Backups_into_Proxmox_Backup_Server

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!