Host (Debian) -> LXC (Alpine) -> Docker Container (Debian): musl vs glibc?

Aug 12, 2022
Hi,

I'm just new to Alpine and read a lot about issues with musl vs. glibc. So I have a theoretical question about the level of separation of systems.

Let's start with Proxmox. It runs on Debian which comes with glibc. Proxmox supports Alpine which uses musl as an official LXC container system. Is this really separated fully? Does Proxmox really separate the systems fully although they are still running somehow with the same kernel but different c libraries?

If I spin that further, what happens if I install docker on alpine and install a docker container which uses debian as a base image. Will it run and does docker really separate the different architectures and c libraries from each other?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!