Host cannot reach internet after router restart

yander

Aug 3, 2024
I'm new to Proxmox and Linux, so I don't really know what I'm supposed to do here. I read about changing /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts but I don't know what I am supposed to change or what im supposed to change it to. I can't ping 8.8.8.8 and I can't connect to web interface via shown IP.

Let's start with some basics then:

On your PC, open a commandprompt, type in ipconfig (or terminal and command ifconfig -a if on mac or on linux it's probably ip a )and check if the first 3 number of the IP you have on there match what you have on the screen.

If it is the same, try pinging the IP shown on the screen, does that get a reply from that IP or not?
If it is not the same, or you don't get a reply to the above pings, log into your proxmox and type in the following commands, then make and post a photo of it:
Code:
ip a
cat /etc/network/interfaces

Tried pinging. it doesn't get a reply.
I ran the commands.
Here ip a
IMG_20240803_200243.jpg
Here cat /etc/network/interfaces
IMG_20240803_200314.jpg

So, there are a couple of things I notice that I find quite odd:
You reference a bridge-port enp3s0, but that iface is not in the file further, just an eno1 that you don't use.
Both the eno1 and the enp3s0 are not in your interface-devices list (ip a).
In your ip a there are a couple of numbers missing/skipped, especially 2 and 3 are of note, as those could be there the eno1 and/or enp3s0 could be.

I also see some tap-devices that I'm guessing are from VM's or containers you've set up?
For those VMs, did you set up auto-start and PCI(e) passthrough? Because it might be that you broke something there, blocking access to your host but (maybe) not the VM's running on it.

If yes on the auto-start, you might want to temporarily disable it and then reboot the system, seems if things start working.
For that first run ls -l /etc/pve/qemu-server/ to find all your VM-numbers (in case you don't know them)
Then, run nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf (where you replace the VMID with the actual ID, the same one you just got listed)
Find if the file as a line starting with booton and if it has a 1 behind it, if so, change it to 0, then exit out by pressing control+X, pressing Y and then Enter.
Finally, run qm stopall to (gracefully) stop all VM's (give it a minute), then reboot to restart the server.

if no on both, did you already reboot the server + if you look at the led's next to the network-port(s), do they work?

I had a truenas instance running with pcie passthrough a few weeks ago, but I removed the hba since then.
I disabled the auto-start for all my VM's, shut them off, and rebooted the machine.
The led's next to the network port aren't on.

Now, with no VM's/Containers running, does it show 2/3 in the ip a command?
And after removing the hba/truenas instance, did you already restart the server in-between then and the router restart causing the issues now?
And the lights not coming on could be an indication that the network-port itself might be dead.

What you could try is booting to either a proxmox install or a debian live-USB till the network-part and seeing if that one gets an IP/network-connection. Of course don't finish the installation, but if it works there it should work on the machine, and it's an config-issue. If it does not work there either, it might be hardware.

IP a only shows 1 -Io ,2 - enp2s0 and 3 - vmbr1 now.
I didn't restart the server in between removing the hba and the router restart.
The network works in a Debian live USB so it is a software issue.

Ok, since it shows enp2s0 that's good.
That means that, because you removed the card, it noticed the change and "just" re-ordered your devices most likely.
Edit the /etc/network/interfaces with nano and change the bridge-ports enp3s0 to bridge-ports enp2s0 and save it.
Then run ifreload -a to apply the changes and look if you can now access your device again (if not, try a full reboot).

If you still have the truenas VM, once you're in the GUI, check that it does NOT have the PCI(e) device attached still, because I'm suspecting that it does, and because of the re-arranging of the device-order, it "grabbed" your normal network-card, making it un-usuble for your system.

Reactions: yander
I did what you said and I can access the GUI now. And indeed the PCIe device was still attached, so i removed that. It works again.
Thank you very much!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!