HomeLab - Moving VMs to new server

DavidOwen

Dec 13, 2019
I have purchased a new used server and wanted to ask about my options for moving my VMs. Both servers are/will be using local storage, is it a simple matter of shutting down a vm, copying the host files over to the new server and then adding them? I don't plan to keep the old server running long term but am considering making a cluster just for learning reasons.
tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

Last edited:
I'm planning to move my VMs. But I need an idea here, with my essay service analysis of the servers I've purchased.

I'd consider a cluster concept. If it's easier to set a 2-node cluster, why not? I don't need shared storage, so each server will have its local storage. I had three servers and each contained 300gb of the local VM storage. And then I could migrate VM from one host to the other.

If you have a central Storage (NAS,...) or a USB-Disk with enough storage, you could just take a backup of a VM and restore it on your new Node.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!