Helping with installation

Schinken6

Apr 18, 2023
So I bought this PC (config: No RAM No Storage, N5105 i226-V, EU) from AliExpress a few months ago and finally got to setting up Proxmox. First, I started with Proxmox 7, and now that Proxmox 8 has come out, I tried it with that one as well. But I always get to the installation setup, and then it fails. Does anyone have any idea what I could do? If you need any information just let me know I am happy to provide it.

I put a video on Imgur so you can see what exactly I am talking about.
imgur
https://imgur.com/a/Wslmo4P
Intel N100 Celeron N5105
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.6f5818027n5lNJ

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_194025.png
    IMG_20230623_194025.png
    690.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230623_194035.jpg
    IMG_20230623_194035.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 22
Hi,

seems like a issue with the graphics driver. Can you try the console mode installer (by selecting the option Install Proxmox VE (Console)) in the boot menu) and see if that works?

If not, a further possibility would be to use it with nomodeset, available as an option under the Advanced Options menu. That provides a pretty good fail-safe.

Hey cheiss,
thanks so much for replying; you are my last hope to finally get Proxmox installed.
First, I tried installing Proxmox VE (Console) in the boot menu, but that didn't work. As soon as I clicked, I got to the funky color screen and had to shut it off. Then when I tried it with the nomodeset option I finally saw hope and I was so happy when I saw that I finally got to the installation window. But the happiness didn't last long, as you can see in Part 3, where it crashed after rebooting into Proxmox VE GNU.
https://imgur.com/a/8fOPsu4

Then when I tried it with the nomodeset option I finally saw hope and I was so happy when I saw that I finally got to the installation window. But the happiness didn't last long, as you can see in Part 3, where it crashed after rebooting into Proxmox VE GNU.
There is something really funky going on with your graphics chipset. It probably has some integrated Intel graphics, from what I can tell?

Anyway - there are two things you can try:

1. Connect it to the network and see if you can reach the web interface or ssh into the box via the IP address you configured while installing.
If that does work, it at least means that the machine boots normally & fully, just the display is garbled.

2. While in the GRUB menu (so the screen at the start of the "Part 3" - video), you can press "e" to edit the command line of the kernel. Now add nomodeset to kernel commandline, since that seems to be fixing the issue.

Thanks for the inspiration, but doing this will be my last resort, as bare metal is something quite crucial in my opinion.
That is bare metal. PVE is based on Debian 12 anyway and by installing the PVE packages on Debian 12 you turn that Debian into a PVE. You just won't be able to use ZFS for your system disk (as the Debian installer can't hndle ZFS) and you won't use the proxmox-boot-tool for booting.
Beside that I don't see any disadvantages over using the PVE installer.

Last edited:
There is something really funky going on with your graphics chipset. It probably has some integrated Intel graphics, from what I can tell?

Anyway - there are two things you can try:

1. Connect it to the network and see if you can reach the web interface or ssh into the box via the IP address you configured while installing.
If that does work, it at least means that the machine boots normally & fully, just the display is garbled.

2. While in the GRUB menu (so the screen at the start of the "Part 3" - video), you can press "e" to edit the command line of the kernel. Now add nomodeset to kernel commandline, since that seems to be fixing the issue.
1. I tried that but it doesn't seem to work

2. I don't really know where exactly in the code I should write "nomodeset". Could you tell me where exactly I should put that.

I attached 3 pictures on imgur where you can see the output when I press "e".
https://imgur.com/a/RPd0sIm

That is bare metal. PVE is based on Debian 12 anyway and by installing the PVE packages on Debian 12 you turn that Debian into a PVE. You just won't be able to use ZFS for your system disk and you won't use the proxmox-boot-tool for booting.
Beide that I don't see any disadvantages over using the PVE installer.
Oh, I see. Then I guess it could be a good alternative if this doesn't work. Thanks for the explanation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!