Help with PVE 2 Cluster planning setup

luison

Renowned Member
Feb 22, 2010
Spain
alsur.es
We are migrating one of our online servers (OVH) from 1.9 to 2.2 release via a new server setup. The host node has 1 main OpenVZ container plus 2 other for logging and minor tasks.
For additional security we are considering hosting a second cheaper server that is capable of running PVE and that we would mainly use to backup our main servers containers as well as either mysql dumps several times a day or maybe include a dedicated container as a MySQL slave of some of the most important DBs. No NAS or shared network filesystem.

Our doubt is weather is worth setting up both as a PVE cluster considering that live migration won't be available and that in OVH we need some network tweaking for the cluster to work. I understand there are some obvious benefits as it will allow us to automate the machine dumps from one system to the other, see resources, etc but I am uncertain if:

• in case main system fails do I need any "adjust" on the backup cluster to access it directly and turn on containers. Would I restore the container from a dump backup just I would on a separate install.
  • can I have other containers running on the backup system that are not available on the main one (assuming no ID conflicts obviously)
  • is the process and network traffic overhead worth vs the alternative of two separate install and rsync syncros of DBs and containers every X hours.

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!