Help with Proxmox installation: NAK bailout error after installation

sujitg

May 21, 2022
I am trying to learn proxmox and have been stumped completely by the errors just trying to get it successfully installed.
Attempt 1:
I installed (brand new installation, no prior OS) Proxmox 7.1.2 on a HP Proliant DL 360 G7 server (trying to setup a homelab for learning). The installation went through; and the final CLI message saying welcome and you can now manage your proxmox server via web at the following url : http://x.x.x.x:8006 comes up. The login prompt shows up

- After a few mins, you see messages being dumped in the format
[899. 249267] 12c 12c-1: sendbytes: NAK bailout
;;;;;
[999. 543368] 12c 12c-1: sendbytes: NAK bailout

When you press enter on this screen, login prompt shows up, but before you type the login info, teh above message again gets spit out and it keeps happening.

Things I then tried
Attempt 2.
:confused: install Proxmox 7.2.1 (latest available version as of 5/20/22):

This started throwing a different error message on monitor screen during the installation process itself ----" Current input timing is not supported by your monitor, change it to something like 1366x768". And display is just a blue screen with the message; cannot go forward
--------> Tried a different monitor , with higher resolution capability, but no luck
--------> Tried pressing the enter key as soon as the "message" appears (as recommended somewhere online)

Attempt 3. Then tried to install Proxmox 6.4.1. This was a similar experience to my first attempt with 7.1.2, where installation went through, finally at the login prompt, system starts spitting out the sendbytes: NAK bailout error

I am also not able to access proxmox at the given url.

I am at my wit's end (and knowledge to troubleshoot). Any pointers on how to get through this issue and help me start learning proxmox will be highly appreciated

sujitg

Last edited:
hi,

at first i'd ignore the i2c-1 error (which seems harmless) and try to access the webinterface of the pve
what exactly happens when you try to access the url? note that it's https only, so 'https://<ip-of-your-pve>:8006'

@dcsapak , sorry for the late response.
- Looking further into my issue- My server had 4 NIC cards and when I connected the network cable to the correct NIC card, I was able to access the Proxmox admin UI over the network.

- NAK Bailout issue also disappeared.
(Dont know why the NAK Bailout still happened and made teh system un-usable, but thats research for another day.. )

@dcsapak , thanks for your input

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!