Help With Proxmox And Pfsense As Edge Router And Computing With BGP Session

Feb 19, 2022
I am trying to get a single dedicated server and also want to setup pfsense to do routing and BGP with my own ipv6 only for now and ASN
Now like i mentioned this is a single dedicated server with a hosting provider that is whiling to setup BGP session and announce my ip with my own ASN

How do i go about this setup?

I will like to install proxmox on the server and then create a VM and install pfsense and then now use this pfsense as replacement for a router/firewall that would normally have needed 2 hardware 1. router/firewall and 2. server and the server will connect to the hardware router/firewall but since this is a setup i will like to scale at multiple datacenters I want to keep things simple and scalable by doing everything on a single dedicated server

Is this possible? And what are the gotchas i need to be aware of to have this setup used to create a private CDN or private cloud infrastructure that is distributed globally.

One of the things am not sure about is the server will be given 1 ipv4 address and then that is same ip i will use to access proxmox host right? and then when i create the pfsense, then what will the WAN ip? How will i set this up to route ipv6 with my own announced subnet and ASN with BGP setup

All comments and help appreciated in advance

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!