Help with disks

ellinj

Jun 12, 2024
I am a new Proxmox user coming from VMware, I am trying to understand what I am seeing in the disk section. I have one drive in the system which is a 500gb SSD under LVM I have a disk labeled pve with a size of 499gb, seems right. Not sure what the 16LVs column means? Under LVM Thin, I have something called data data with a size of 382gb and is currently about 52% used.

What is the difference between an LVM and LVM-Thin?
Where did the 382gb come from? Where is the rest of the 500gb?
What does the number LVs mean? I assume this is something to do with the disk used by my vms. but not sure since it seems my capacity is being used on the LVM-Thin.

I am thinking the installer must of divied up the disk between LVM and LVM-Thin, but I am not sure.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
LVM-Thin is block storage, this is why you can't use it for anything but disk images and containers.

Number of LVs is Logical Volumes under LVM.

You can get a basic display of your LVM arrangement with:

pvs # physical volumes
vgs # volume groups
lvs # logical volumes

Full commands (all have man pages):

pvdisplay
vgdisplay
lvdisplay

If you want further than that, I know of 3 good alternatives that will give you a better LVM view:

webmin # runs on port 10000
SuSE YAST # text mode and GUI

WeLees graphical LVM utility https://www.welees.com/lvm-support.html

You may also see some useful information with gparted, but I have not tested this.

Grab the pve iso and do a test install to a VM. The very first popup after Agreeing in the installer has an Advanced Options where you can limit the disk size, swap size, rootfs and thin-lvm.

Very useful, since you want ~30-40GB for rootfs +1-2GB for swap, and your VMs will be going on lvm-thin unless you're using ZFS.

By limiting the disk size for pve to less than the entire physical disk size, you can also leave room at the end to create a single-disk ZFS partition post-install. Or XFS, or whatever you want to use it for.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!