Help with cluster/ceph/zfs

netpana

Jun 5, 2024
Hi guys, i need some advice/clarification about CEPH or ZFS.

I had for 3 years 2 servers with VM’s on it running Cluster with NFS (OMV) without any problem at all. Use the NFS as a Disk image, Container, with that system, can move the VM from one node to the other without any problem. But can’t have HA.

Recently I had the chance to add another server, I was thinking about set up HA, is not really I need it. Can tolerate lose one server, connect to the other and start the machine without any problems until repare one server.

But now I really would like to do HA. And here it comes the headakes.

This are my 3 servers:

PVE 1 HP PROLIANT DL 360:

40 vCpu

96 Gb (RAM)

6 HDD:

HDD 1 - HDD 2 raid1 2 for the Proxmox OS ( 74GB ). (Enterprise disk)

HDD3 – 1Tb (Enterprise disk)

HDD4 – 1Tb (Enterprise disk)

HDD5 – 1Tb (Enterprise disk)

HDD6 – 1Tb (Enterprise disk)

PVE 2 PowerEdge R430:

12 vCPU

64GB RAM

4 HD:

HDD1 - HDD2 raid1 2 for the Proxmox OS ( 74GB ). (Enterprise disk)

HDD 2 – 2 GB (7200 RPM)

HDD 3 – 2 GB (7200 RPM)

DELL POWEREDGE T610

40 vCpu

96 Gb (RAM)

3 HDD:

HDD 1 for the Proxmox OS ( 74GB ) (Enterprise disk)

HDD2 – 1Tb (Enterprise disk) (7200 RPM)

HDD3 – 1Tb (Enterprise disk) (7200 RPM)

The scenario is like this right now:

1727964052612.png

So far I try CEPH with this scenario and Im getting bad performance, probably because the difference between servers and disks.

Without the 10Gb links, it was giving me a really bad performance on de VM’s, now whit the link between servers at 10G the performance is a bit better but not how it sould be.

( I have an spare server R220 with 32 Gb and 8 vCPU and the VM loads faster on it than the scenario above) (This can not be included on the Cluster because I don’t have more 10 Gb cards and also don’t have a 10Gb port switch)

¿Will you think this scenario can run properly?

On the other hand, I can build ZFS, try it by installing the os and the data together making appropriate raid with Proxmox OS on each node, but I don’t like this way, I want the OS on separated disks.

By knowing this, if I create a ZFS volume lets say with PEV 1 ( 4 x 1 TB DISKS)

¿how can I create a volume ZFS with 4 Gb? Cant figure out how to do the raid

¿how will be the best scenario for enable HA on the Cluster and have the same amount of storage on each server?

¿How can I share all the

I have to add than I have another server HP proliant G5 mini (OMV Nas) Where are all the backups

I know if I do raid0 if one disk fails will lose data but I don’t worry about it because have the backups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!