Help installing Proxmox to NVMe Drive

0Legolas0

Oct 20, 2024
Hi
Firstly, an absolute Proxmox NOOB here :). I am trying to repurpose an old Acer TC-865 (i5-8400, 16GB DDR, Crucial 500GB NVMe) desktop and install Proxmox on it. It currently running Win-11 off the onboard NVMe. When I try to install Proxmox (Both Ventoy and Balena Etcher), I can see my other 2x 12TB HDDs, and the boot USB but not the NVMe. I tried to install Debian-Live, Linux Mint and have the same issue, that is the NVMe drive is not visible.

I thought this has something to do w/ NTFS vs EXT4, and tried Hiren's BootCD. I can see the NVMe drive but unable to format it to EXT4 (only NTFS, and RFS) :(
I will have other questions in being able to configure Proxmox :) later, but can you please point me how to get Proxmox installed to NVMe drive?

BTW, I tried to configure BIOS to disable secure-boot, and to use CSM (Always)/Legacy mode, etc. but have the overall the same issue. I tried Proxmox w/ Grub2 too, but still no luck. I read out going to Advanced mode and check (lsblk) on the disk, but I get command-not found. Messages before the GUI start are too fast for me to get a full read-on.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
First guess out-of-the-blue: check inside of the BIOS if that drive is configured for some Intel specific "Raid"-Mode or similar. It should configured to use classic AHCI mode instead.

Good luck!
Your "Out-of-the-Blue" hunch was right-on :). I found some option called "RST with Optane" and I switched that to AHCI. Now, it wouldn't boot to the installed Windows (doesn't matter), but I can see the NVMe drive and in the process of installing Proxmox.

Thanx a gazillion... I have been breaking my head over this for the past few days.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!