Help installing Proxmox on HP Proliant server DL380e G8

yurimley

Oct 7, 2013
Hello community, I need help to install Proxmox on HP Proliant server DL380e G8. What is happening to me is that the installation does not recognize me Proxmox 3.0R2 disk controller (HP Smart Array B320i Dynamic RAID Controller) server (I have 4 disks in RAID 5 SAS) therefore gives me the message that there find the disk to start the installation, I've done some searching and I have read some documents from HP and apparently has to do with the driver for the controller. Please if anyone can give me help or information would be most grateful.

Currently have installed Proxmox on a PC with 3 virtual servers (Endian, Samba-Sernet and ubuntu server 12.04) and did not want to lose virtual platform for obvious reasons.

Greetings

Yuri

Hola comunidad, necesito ayuda para instalar el Proxmox en un servidor HP Proliant DL380e G8. Lo que me está sucediendo es que la instalación del proxmox 3.0R2 no me reconoce la controladora de discos (HP Dynamic Smart Array B320i RAID Controller) del servidor (tengo 4 discos SAS en RAID 5), por lo tanto me da el mensaje que no encuentra el disco para comenzar la instalación, he hecho algunas búsquedas y me he leído algunos documentos de HP y al parecer tiene que ver con el driver de la controladora. Por favor si alguien me puede brindar ayuda o información al respecto se lo agradecería mucho.

Actualmente tengo proxmox instalado en una PC con 3 servidores virtuales (Endian, Samba-Sernet y ubuntu server 12.04) y no quisiera perder la plataforma virtual por razones obvias.

Saludos

Yuri

B320 is a fake raid. You need a HP P410i or P212 raid controller.

I have a DL360p G8 with P420i and works fine out of the box.

Enviat des del meu Nexus 5 usant Tapatalk

Hello, this problem on me I need help to install Proxmox 3.3 on HP Proliant server DL380e G8

Sorry but Proxmox does not work with fakeraid. Buy a real Raidcontroller like HP P410i or P212.

Best Regards.

Sorry but Proxmox does not work with fakeraid. Buy a real Raidcontroller like HP P410i or P212.

yes, pve is supported only on real, good, raid hw controllers, and that is heartly recommended, if you can go that way! but it should run also on sw raid like mdadm (ie: disable hp fake raid, and install mdamd), although not supported or recommended - I did this some time ago with pve 3.0 on an old HP server, for testing purposes; you should try install first latest debian server, and than pve on top (this path is somewhat documented on wiki).

Marco

Had same issues with soft raid, replaced with p212 (i needed external port too), works out of the box.
depending on what you need, get real controller.

Get p212 or p410 from ebay, you can get them barely used or even new for affordable price, i just bought controller with cache memory, battery and cabling for really funny money.
example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-SAS-Co...224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4186818468

Last edited:
Hello community, I need help to install Proxmox on HP Proliant server DL380e G8. What is happening to me is that the installation does not recognize me Proxmox 3.0R2 disk controller (HP Smart Array B320i Dynamic RAID Controller) server (I have 4 disks in RAID 5 SAS) therefore gives me the message that there find the disk to start the installation, I've done some searching and I have read some documents from HP and apparently has to do with the driver for the controller. Please if anyone can give me help or information would be most grateful.

Currently have installed Proxmox on a PC with 3 virtual servers (Endian, Samba-Sernet and ubuntu server 12.04) and did not want to lose virtual platform for obvious reasons.

Greetings

Yuri

Hola comunidad, necesito ayuda para instalar el Proxmox en un servidor HP Proliant DL380e G8. Lo que me está sucediendo es que la instalación del proxmox 3.0R2 no me reconoce la controladora de discos (HP Dynamic Smart Array B320i RAID Controller) del servidor (tengo 4 discos SAS en RAID 5), por lo tanto me da el mensaje que no encuentra el disco para comenzar la instalación, he hecho algunas búsquedas y me he leído algunos documentos de HP y al parecer tiene que ver con el driver de la controladora. Por favor si alguien me puede brindar ayuda o información al respecto se lo agradecería mucho.

Actualmente tengo proxmox instalado en una PC con 3 servidores virtuales (Endian, Samba-Sernet y ubuntu server 12.04) y no quisiera perder la plataforma virtual por razones obvias.

Saludos

Yuri

Hi! was the problem solved for you??! Im starting with PVE and I have some troubles to install PVE 3.3 on HP Proliant DL380 G8 with P420i (Embedded) RAID Controller.
The installer boots but when it scan for disks it can not found my RAID disks.
¿Any Ideas?

Hola, el problema se solucionó? Estoy comenzando con PVE y tengo algunos problemas para instalar PVE V3.3 en un HP DL380 G8 con controladora RAID P420i (embebida).
El instalador arranca pero cuando escanea los discos no "ve" los RAID.
Alguna idea?

did you setup your raid first through raid bios/software?
i have HP Smart Array P420i Controller (embedded) and it runs great!

Last edited:
did you setup your raid first through raid bios/software?
i have HP Smart Array P420i Controller (embedded) and it runs great!

Hi! I have configured my RAID using ACU (Array Configuration Utility). I created a RAID 1 + 0 and RAID 0.
Then, when I boot the installer (USB), PVE Installer only searches the integrated SATA channels but not the RAID controller.

i have raid 1, raid 5 on DL380e G8(with p420i) and raid 1 and raid 0 on DL320e (with p212).
all works out of the box.
proxmox sees those volumes like normal drives, eg sda sdb ..
in my case raid1 is sda, raid 5 is sdb and other raid 1 is seen as sdc

i have raid 1, raid 5 on DL380e G8(with p420i) and raid 1 and raid 0 on DL320e (with p212).
all works out of the box.
proxmox sees those volumes like normal drives, eg sda sdb ..
in my case raid1 is sda, raid 5 is sdb and other raid 1 is seen as sdc

When you says "did you setup your raid first through raid bios/software", the <<"first">> word (before "...through...") makes reference to another configuration needed after ACU set up?
Are there some BIOS sata / raid configuration that I have to check? [(bios, not ACU)]

The verbose mode looks like a diskless server....

Other theory is that the Advanced Raid Controller configuration is not compatible with proxmox (kernel?)

Where "Advanced" refers to "How RAID controller manages data allocations, and so on...

(Sorry, my english is not so good... but i think that is clear :)

As I said before, proxmox is compatible with raid controllers p420i and p212 out of the box.
I needed to create raid, for that I used firmware/software that is built in to server.
After raids were built (took some time for raid 5).
It was a matter just booting cd and installation seen these volumes: sda (raid 1), sdb (raid 5), sdc (raid 1) available.

Model

HP Smart Array P420i Controller
Firmware Version
Cache Module Status
icon_status_08_normal.gif
OK
Cache Module Serial Number
Cache Module Memory
524288 KB

i guess there are 2 methods of creating arrays, one native controller bios, other some fancy gui firmware (i guess some sort of embended linux with all drivers needed) that does whole server management, you can get in to it at some point before it tries to boot OS.

i guess there are 2 methods of creating arrays, one native controller bios, other some fancy gui firmware (i guess some sort of embended linux with all drivers needed) that does whole server management, you can get in to it at some point before it tries to boot OS.

I used ACU, as this tutorial shows: http://goo.gl/luYD6C

Browsing web I found others methods, like using ORCA utility, but I didn't try yet.
At BIOS setup utility, i did not find P420i RAID controller configurations menu.
Can you specify me what method do you use for setup p420i RAIDs before installing PVE?
After that RAID creations, did you some additional configuration to use this?
Are you using PVE v3.3 ?

Regards

I'm back with other question related:

¿do you remember what RAID configurations parameters must be setted in Advance Configuration for install PVE?

The parameters are:

Fault Tolerance
Strip Size
Sectors/Track
Size, Caching
And Parity Initialization Method

ORCA is controllers "bios" or "firmware", but i used other method (HP Smart Storage Administrator), makes no difference.

SSA1.jpg

Does your controller has cache?
Ours initialy was configured without, but some weird info came from HP that server in that config is not "buildable".
In the end we got 512MB cache and its not bad, i think you cant config raid 5 or 6 without it.
No special settings were used, just boot stuff, but even that is not needed for install disk to see volumes.
For installation i used pve 3.3

Last edited:
ORCA is controllers "bios" or "firmware", but i used other method (HP Smart Storage Administrator), makes no difference.

Does your controller has cache?
Ours initialy was configured without, but some weird info came from HP that server in that config is not "buildable".
In the end we got 512MB cache and its not bad, i think you cant config raid 5 or 6 without it.
No special settings were used, just boot stuff, but even that is not needed for install disk to see volumes.
For installation i used pve 3.3

Yes it has...
I used both ORCA (BIOS utility) and ACU (Array COnfiguration Utility)
I think that installing PVE 3.2 or 3.1, then upgrading to 3.3 may result.... but if you says that you used 3.3 installer.......
the things that may be simple, always go complicated...
This problem looks like HP trolling me

Very strange as i said before, had no problems.
Try different versions of PVE but they dont differ much 3.2 and 3.3

Hi! I have configured my RAID using ACU (Array Configuration Utility). I created a RAID 1 + 0 and RAID 0.
Then, when I boot the installer (USB), PVE Installer only searches the integrated SATA channels but not the RAID controller.

A little detail about USB installation.
When you use a USB Stick (or USB HDD) this error appears... and the last line says "no cdrom found - unable to continue"

Googling this words, I found a some "additional" steps to installer starts correctly.

The steps basically consist in:

1-Identify the USB device (fdisk -l)
2-Mount the USB partition at /mnt
3-Change filesystems root to new path at /mnt
4-Run /sbin/unconfigured.sh

Then the installer runs.

The second trouble that appears is related with storage size.
The people says that problems with volumes bigger than 2T was solved but the true is that with my 10 RAID of 6 disks (900 GB per disk) the installer crashes!
Then when I trunk volume at less than 2T the installer goes well.
Problem with volume partitioning for boot loader? I dont know...

For Your References:

First Problem fix (related with this post):

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/18114-Installing-from-USB-Drive-issues

Second Problem (OT):

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/20...artition-harddisk-dev-sda?p=106541#post106541

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!