Help for proxmox at OVH to solve "vmbr0: port 1 (eno1) entered blocking state"

Jan 23, 2021
Hi everybody, greetings to all members of this great community.
I am new of Proxmox, but after reading some papers I decided to use it as virtual evironment at OVH were I have two servers. Unfotunately my servers have just one NIC ( no private network ). So I decided to install proxmox on both proxmox but without putting them in communication ( cluster ) in order to avoid to overcharge the nic with corosync traffic.
I did the installation with first VM as firewall (OPNSense), for this reason I created the below configuration that seems to work perfectly with IPV4 and IPV6 trafic. Behind the firewall I have some VM in dmz and some in LAN with openvpn access for administration. I also decided to implement IPV6 on WAN on order to manage dns properly. Routing from VM to internet and from internet to dmz and vpn was fine. Because I have 4 additional public IP addresses, in order to use them on the WAN interface of the firewall after talking to OVH support they told me that is possible to use the on the same NIC of OPNsense firewall assigning them the same macaddress ( via OVH API is possible and I did it ). So now I have the 4 IP Failover with same macaddress. Everything seems to work fine at the beginnig than I noted some strange reactions of the VMs, now without performing ather changes, after a reboot both servers boots up but with "BLOCKING STATE" on the ethernet card eno1. Servers are not reachable from external and cannot use them. I would like to know how to solve this problem and if the problem was caused by any bud network configuration or by the macaddress manipulation to IP Failower addresses that I assegned diectly to the WAN interface or the OPNsense firewall. I would like to understand before to put servers in production in order to avoid future bud surprices. Thank in advance for your help.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces :

# network interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual
iface lo inet6 loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address x.19x.8x.49
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway x.19x.8x.254
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
port-up route add x.19x.8x.254 vmbr0
port-up route add default gw x.19x.8x.254

# Main IPv6 address
iface vmbr0 inet6 static
address 2001:xxxx:a:xxxx::1
netmask 64

# IPv6 Gateway
post-up sleep 5; /sbin/ip -6 route add 2001:xxxx:a:xxFF:FF:FF:FF:FF dev vmbr0
post-up sleep 5; /sbin/ip -6 route add default via 2001:xxxx:a:xxFF:FF:FF:FF:FF
pre-down /sbin/ip -6 route del default via 2001:xxxx:a:xxFF:FF:FF:FF:FF
pre-down /sbin/ip -6 route del 2001:xxxx:a:xxFF:FF:FF:FF:FF dev vmbr0

# Virtual switch for LAN
# (connect your firewall/router KVM instance and private LAN hosts here)
auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports none
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

# Virtual switch for DMZ
# (connect your firewall/router KVM instance and DMZ hosts here)
auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
bridge_ports none
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes

iface vmbr2 inet6 manual
bridge_ports none
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes

This is my sysctl.conf :

net.ipv6.conf.all.autoconf=0
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra=0
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1

Attachments

• ovh.PNG
    ovh.PNG
    68.4 KB · Views: 10
Hi
For my own experience, OPNSence/PFsense works perfectly if each virtual network card is on a VLAN or on different bridge
If you mix virtual network card on the same physical interface without VLAN, it's a mess ...
No explanations for this
Thank you Pierre-Yves for your kind reply. If I understood well you are saying that it's not good to have a "bridge-vlan-aware" in the configuration of my DMZ. Is this what you mean ? Meanwhile, is there any configuration that I have to take care in order to have best performance of the network using OPNsense, sometimes I have the impression that speed of network is not what is should be. Someware I have seen comments about somethin that might slow network speed when using OPNsense on Proxmox. Thanks in adwance for your help.
Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!