Help for old cluster

jan010

Jul 25, 2022
Hy guys,
a few months ago, I inherited from the old IT manager who followed a company a cluster (3 nodes) with proxmox 5.4 and ceph luminous (YES... so old).
I read the guides "Upgrade from 5.x to 6.0" and "Ceph Luminous to Nautilus" but, before upgrading I would like to ask some of you if and what problems I could encounter. Problems with the repos, with the names of the nics, others?
After switching to version 6 I would like to bring pve at least to 7 and Ceph Pacific.
Being a production cluster with about 12 vm I would not want to block everything.
Thanks for any valuable information.
- pve-manager/5.4-15/d0ec33c6 (running kernel: 4.15.18-30-pve)
- ceph version 12.2.13 luminous (stable)

I haven't been in this space long enough to have seen much of those old versions, but maybe a few general tips (some might be obvious though)

- Have backups and check that the backups are working.
- Know that you can run proxmox itself as a VM too, so you could install proxmox 5 and Lumnious in a test-cluster (either on proxmox itself or some other virtualization-software) to "test out" the process.
- I personally prefer to "override" the default port names [1], so that even if an upgrade changes what the system can see about the device, it doesn't change the name (anymore), so maybe you can do that before you start upgrading, so you at least know that that won't be an issue in your cluster.
- Upgrade one of the nodes at the time, and you can migrate VM's between different versions, but probably best to only migrate "up" (so from a 5.4 to a 5.5 system and not from 5.5 to 5.4). It SHOULD work mind you, just if you can avoid it, why run the risk.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_naming_conventions section "Overriding network device names", I usually name the ethernet-device after the device it is in and the port on it's device (so end1p2 for device 1 port 2 for example, the "en" makes it so that proxmox can see the device still)

I haven't been in this space long enough to have seen much of those old versions, but maybe a few general tips (some might be obvious though)

- Have backups and check that the backups are working.
- Know that you can run proxmox itself as a VM too, so you could install proxmox 5 and Lumnious in a test-cluster (either on proxmox itself or some other virtualization-software) to "test out" the process.
- I personally prefer to "override" the default port names [1], so that even if an upgrade changes what the system can see about the device, it doesn't change the name (anymore), so maybe you can do that before you start upgrading, so you at least know that that won't be an issue in your cluster.
- Upgrade one of the nodes at the time, and you can migrate VM's between different versions, but probably best to only migrate "up" (so from a 5.4 to a 5.5 system and not from 5.5 to 5.4). It SHOULD work mind you, just if you can avoid it, why run the risk.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_naming_conventions section "Overriding network device names", I usually name the ethernet-device after the device it is in and the port on it's device (so end1p2 for device 1 port 2 for example, the "en" makes it so that proxmox can see the device still)
thanks for your suggestions and sorry for my delay...
- backup VM and node configuration (etc/pve)... yes of course
- i dont know if is possible for me... i need to find a test enviroment... but is right, thanks.
- "I personally prefer to "override" the default port names"... yes, me too.

I hope that there aren't problems with the repos so old (debian and Pve)... thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!