Having problems with network, how would I do this?

Jackster

Nov 12, 2014
Hi all

New to Proxmox and a newb at networks.
Been doing VMs and containers for a while, I know how they work and stuff but I lack the backend stuff like Promox.
Wanting to learn a lot and probably use a new server I have and load it on to run multiple websites and services.

What I want to do is have a public and private network on my server for these VMs and containers.
So I have a master IP of the server that I use to mange the backend.
I then have IP blocks for public use, and then want to create a private network for only access within the system.

I tired to do this by adding the servers with the local IP and then going into the IP configs and adding more, the external IP.
This worked for Windows but none of my Linux boxes worked. They would not connect to anything.

Also have the problem now that all of the templates don't work, either don't boot or fail half way through.

Anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong or can suggest where to look?

Thanks

The easiest way to separate networks is with a real subnet, it is a little bit old school, but easy to understand. I do this, this way. I have one Frirewall with internal private network, and one with DMZ. The same you do on the PVE host. One nic for internal and one for DMZ. It is recommended to use iptables on the PVEhost to set some rules for the networks, or can use also some configfiles to bind address, like sshdconf.

To other way is do use new firewallfeatures from Proxmox. Should work fine, but i've never tested it before.

What templates do you mean?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!