Hardware suggestions

fishstix

Jan 27, 2023
About to try proxmox, I want to run windows 11, windows 10 and Linux. Will this system work? Just would like to use it at home for testing. Would this work or is it going to be really slow

8-Core (16-Thread) INTEL XEON E5-2670 CPU, 256GB RAM, Massive Storage Capacity, 5G-WiFi Internet, High-End Build Quality, and NVIDIA K600, and 3 TB storage.

Storage is probably HDD? I wouldn`t want to run Win from a HDD, especially not multiple Wins in parallel.
For the CPU and GPU it really depends what you want to do with it. That CPU doesn`t got a great single threaded performance (latest desktop CPUs are 3 times faster) so not good for stuff like Gaming or simlar workloads.
And keep in mind that VMs can't use any physical hardware unless you use PCI passthrough. No matter if there is a GPU in the server or not, the Win VMs won't be able to use any GPU hardware acceleration. So even stuff like watching a Youtube video might be problematic. So you maybe want multiple GPUs to pass them through into your VMs.
And I wouldn't use Wifi. You want a NIC.

Storage is probably HDD? I wouldn`t want to run Win from a HDD, especially not multiple Wins in parallel.
For the CPU and GPU it really depends what you want to do with it. That CPU doesn`t got a great single threaded performance (latest desktop CPUs are 3 times faster) so not good for stuff like Gaming or simlar workloads.
And keep in mind that VMs can't use any physical hardware unless you use PCI passthrough. No matter if there is a GPU in the server or not, the Win VMs won't be able to use any GPU hardware acceleration. So even stuff like watching a Youtube video might be problematic. So you maybe want multiple GPUs to pass them through into your VMs.
And I wouldn't use Wifi. You want a NIC.
Thanks for the info. I am glad I asked. What do you suggest without breaking the bank and I could expand. I would like to keep the budget under 1000 for now. It really just for messing around and getting my feet wet for trying out vms but hopefully will use for more down the road.

First you should decide what workloads you want to run. What are precisely the services/software you want to run? What kind of resources and features does that service/software need?

Then there is the question if you want to go the consumer or enterprise route.
New or used hardware? Is it more about performance/testing or stability/reliability/data integrity?

You didn't tell us where you are from, but here in Europe the electricity prices are astronomical. Such 11 years old server can easily consume over 1000€ of electricity per year. So this should also be considered when buying new hardware. General rule: the older the hardware and the more features, redundancy and expandability it offers, the higher the idle power consumption.

Last edited:
Reactions: guletz
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I only plan to use Linux as a learning tool, nothing more
Windows only plan to use as testing for new software and so on

Won't be using for games or playing videos, it will be very basic, but I would like to buy equipment that it I have more interest down the road I can upgrade as well.

Either way it will always just be home use and not worried about power usage at this time.

Thanks

Hi there, I am considering upgrading my pc and since I mainly play KSP (as KSP is not out yet) I was wondering: I got a an AMD 3700X cpu, 32GB of memory. I do not think my pc needs a new cpu. but my GPU is (only) a 1080 so ... will a new GPU help me get better KSP performance at all ? main reason for me to finally get all those fancy visual mods to run without killing my framerates... thanks in advance
At staff:
Looking at the posts of ncowan that are rarely adding something to the actual discussions, reviving old threads and and adding semi-hidden (links colored black so you don't see them with non-dark theme) links to non-topic websites it looks a bit like spam.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!