Hardware specification for proxmox server

slivus

Mar 28, 2024
Hi, I have a questions reguarding hardware needs for my future proxmox server. Hardware specification: Ryzen 7 5700 G (8 cores 16 threads ); 48 gigabytes of DDR 4 ram; nvme drive; 3 ssd drives for nas; GPU RX 5700xt. I want to run on proxmox:
1.Trunas with everyday snapshot and google sync ( i Want to store some doc files and my movies for plex) - i want to assign for this vm 2vcpu and 8 GB
2. On a second vm i want to have plex (maybe container) -igpu hardware transcoding - 4 vcpu 8 GB
3.Windows 10 - one vm with RX 5700xt GPU passhtrough on this vm i need to give Access to 3 rdp users with hardware acceleration using rx5700xt. - 10 vcpu 32 GB(
Nowadays running windows 10 with 6 cpu cores and RX5700 XT for 3 users in rdp is okey)
If this configuration will be ok ? And one more questions is it better to run plex in proxmox container or on dedicated vm ?

[ Personal opinion ]
Its hard to really give a tailored advice on what hardware you need to run vm X and LXC Y in combination with requirements Z.
For general sizing guidelines (apart from what you are planning to run on ProxMox) please see the documentation of Proxmox itself.

Not to sound harsh, but in my setup i have 4 boxes in a cluster, with a total on 1 TB mem, 256 cores and 23TB shared storage.
I run a combination of 65 VM/LXC boxes on it, and i rarely have issues with either CPU/mem/storage.

Some things are just 'look and see what happens'

And one more questions is it better to run plex in proxmox container or on dedicated vm ?

That is a question as to i have no answer, as i dont run plex, so someone else will have to answer that part.

- Glowsome

Problem with a plex VM would be that there will be no GPU available for the PVE host to for example access the local console to fix networking after adding/removing PCIe devices and so on. And not all boards allow you to run your OS without any GPU initialized.
For TrueNAS (abd ZFS in general) you usually want proper enterprise SSDs.
And 8GB RAM ia the bare minimum for TrueNAS. For features like iSCSI TrueNAS should have way more RAM (I think 64+ GB RAM and fast NICs was recommended).

RAM is usually the first thing that is running out as you can't overprovision it like storage or CPU.

You also shouldn't assign 48 of 48GB RAM to VMs. PVE needs some RAM for itself, every VM will have additional overhead, so a VM with 8GB RAM might actually consume something like 9 or 10GB. Then you want some free RAM for caching and as a reserve so PVE won't need to kill VMs.

I am going to setup my proxmox server with remote komputer. But can proxmox work without any GPU initialized ??

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!