Hard Drives Setup and Management

seemog

Aug 5, 2012
Hello,
I'm new to Proxmox, but I'm planning to build a little home server, based on a HP Proliant N40L server running proxmox.

My question is how Proxmox manage fisical hard drives.

I actually have a freenas server, that I would like to run also on proxmox, for power consuption issues, but i wanted to keep my 4 hard drives from my linux machine with UFS file system.
I made a scratched of my ideal setup, hoping someone could tell me if that is possible to be made with proxmox.
ProxMox_Setup.jpg

With this setup I could have just 1 PC, running 3 or 4 virtual machine, one of them being freenas, that would manage my 4 hard drives, without changing those hard drives file system.
Is it possible?

I'm a little under the weather, so not sure if I'm on the same page, but here goes..:

I dont know if there's any gotcha's with freenas or ufs, but I run several debian guests with external ext3/4 storage disks the way I think you're asking for.

proxmox1 - server1 - disk1-disk2-disk3-disk4
proxmox1 - server2 - disk5-disk6-disk7-disk8
proxmox1 - server3 - disk9-disk10-disk11-disk12
etc..

I needed to take the server down for a while, and mounted 4 of the drives on another pc - just as any other drive.
All data was intact.

Giving two guests access to the same drive didn't work too good though (tried it in 1.8).

On the host I'm using : qm set <vmid> --virtioX /dev/disk/by-id/... to assign them to the guests.

...remember to backup before following the advice from a stranger on internet...

Hello,
I'm new to Proxmox, but I'm planning to build a little home server, based on a HP Proliant N40L server running proxmox.

My question is how Proxmox manage fisical hard drives.

...with that box you can only pass a physical drive in raw mode, like Owi pointed out
The CPU and chipset lacks the feature for passtrough of devices, like that of a real controller.
OK for a lab but maybe not for production use...even in a home environment the performance will not be like what you were used to.
Also, you need to check how to deploy the virtio drivers for freenas to max out the performance (the scsi driver might get you started, but virtio should be on your list).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!