hard disk plug in USB 120 gb SSD and I would like to use it as memory for my server

issa2020

Sep 9, 2020
Hello,

is it possible to use a part of an SSD as memory for a virtual machine?
for example I have a hard disk plug in USB 120 gb SSD and I would like to use it as memory for my server

thank you in advance

Hi,

Memory like RAM or storage space?

The former may be possible, but I'd heavily advise against it as it will be so slow that it'd make more problems than anything else.

As storage space, sure that can work. Is that USB SSD permanently plugged in?

You can either just pass through the whole USB SSD to the VM or use it as storage on PVE and add an additional disk to the VM backed by that storage.

Hello thanks for u answere

i talk about using SSD For RAM

i got an SSD USB for virtual machine and works great :)

thanks

I'd advise against using a USB SSD for RAM, you could use it as SWAP if really necessary, which you can do for example by passthrough (may only work for Linux/*nix based VMs).

SSDs are already orders of magnitude slower than RAM, and USB SSDs often are even slower, or have at least higher latency than SCSI attached SSDs, and surely way slower than PCIe ones, and even those are not fast enough to just replace RAM (besides the highly expensive optane stuff maybe)

So in short, Using USB SSD as:
  • RAM -> no, won't work.
  • SWAP -> may work, slow
  • Storage for files and such -> works, internal SSDs may be faster and more reliable though

Hello thanks for u response,

i see some articles about Speed of RAM and SSD, and it's not possible

i stop this idea

thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!