HA configuration with 2 OSD on a 3 nodes cluster

dwalter

Jul 4, 2024
Hello

Can you tell me if it's possible to do what I want to configure :
2 physical servers as 2 basic PVE nodes
1 small computer as a "third" node but without disks

I have configured Ceph with OSDs on each of the 2 physical servers and a pool with size of 2 and only 1 as minimum size (because it's not possible to run VM on the third node without disks)

1720107574267.png

I have created HA group like this

1720107702129.png

still without the third node. In my mind I would like that this third node act as a manager/monitor only of the cluster

However when I power off the first node where is my test VM, after a few moments the VM goes to the second node but it seems that the storage is "broken" because I can't browse the pool and the VM is power on but it's not working

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks a lot

a pool with size of 2 and only 1 as minimum
Do not do this if you like your data!
The chances are too high that you end up with corrupted or broken data if things go wrong.

If you can only do a 2-node cluster, either use a network share on a NAS or similar as shared storage, or, a good alternative is to use the guest replication feature of Proxmox VE.

You can create local ZFS pools on each node. Make sure they are called the same for the replication to work.

The shortest possible replication is once per minute. That is the only downside. If one node crashes, HA will recover the VM on the other node and the VM will power up with a slightly out of date disk image. How old depends on the replication interval and how long ago the last successful replication happened.

Yes I have configured the third node as manager and monitor for the Ceph cluster. But I will check ZFS pool as mentioned by Aaron or change my third node and add disks to transform it as a real node

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!