H310 - IT mode needed?

Daffy82

Aug 16, 2024
Hi.

I finally acquired a server to play with: PowerEdge 720 with an H310.

I will be installing Proxmox on the server on a sata SSD connected to the 2.0 sata port that's noramlly used for the optical drive. I will fill the drive slots with a mix of SSDs and 1 or 2 4TB HDDs. Maybe some nvme riser cards in the future...

Would I get the best performance by flashing the H310 into IT mode. I have read many different articles about it. The general consensus is that it's a good idea to flash into IT mode but some few posts states that it is not necessary. The main reason should be a higher queue depth (25 - 600).

Should I flash it? If yes is this a good guide? https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc.html

Yep, that's a good guide. I've personally followed that guide a few times with the H310's that came with my Dell R620's, then a few further times when I upgraded the H310's to H710's (higher end controllers).

As to "should I do this?"... well, if you're going to be using ZFS storage (generally a good idea), then definitely yes. :)

Oh, and for "best performance" you'd probably want to do the same thing I did, which was upgrading the H310 controller to a H710. They're pretty cheap on Ebay. :)

Random example here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276059594893 (I don't know the seller at all)
Thanks... I just ordered the H710P version. But then I found out that the cache does not matter when we flash to IT mode anyway. There was'nt a big price difference so all is good

Reactions: justinclift

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!