GZIP Backup Still Growing Larger After Half The Files In VM Deleted

toweldog

May 18, 2021
I have a postfix/dovecot VM that was around 350GB and producing a 215GB gzip backup. I went and deleted about 200GB of email from this VM and now the 150GB VM is still producing a 215GB backup. The VM is on LVM-thin with the hypervisor on LVM running on SSDs. I do not have discard selected on the disk but it is running VirtIO SCSI with fstrim running as a service every week -- it has run after removing all these files and still the backup size/time just grows and grows despite the additional free space.

Any thoughts/solutions? Thank you!

You have to enable discard on the disk for it to be passed down from the guest to the host storage
Thank you. Reading other posts I had believed it could be an either/or situation.

Is there any further steps beyond checking the 'discard' box for the disk in the webgui, any commands or a reboot needed afterward?

Any possible risks, e.g. for data loss? I am kind of surprised having discard on isn't the default and they don't have auto-checked.

Thanks!

You have to reboot the guest (shut it down completly, then boot again, or use the reboot button from PVE interface, not a simple reboot from the guest OS). There shouldn't be any risk, but it's better to take a backup before. Once the guest is rebooted, space will be reclaimed at the next fstrim run (you can run it manually if you want immediate effect)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!