GUI interface running but inaccessible on LAN

beeman

Oct 17, 2021
Any help would be greatly appreciated on this one. I did my due diligence and I hope that shows.

`curl -s -k https://localhost:8006` works on a fresh install of PVE, but I'm unable to load the interface from other machines on the network.

tcpdump shows the client attempting to connect, but it seems to be a lot of handshake messaging that goes back and forth until it times out. attached is picture of log.

IMG_0101.jpg

Hey,

can you ping your instance from other machines on the net? Can your PVE instance ping machines on the net? Can you connect to it with SSH?
Could you also post the output of systemctl status pveproxy and ss -tlp.

Thanks for your attention, Hannes.
  • I can not ping the instance from other machines on the LAN. (times out)
  • The instance can ping the machines on the LAN
  • I can not ssh into the instance from other machines on the LAN (times out)
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.41.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.41.44 AM.png

Do you have a firewall enabled on your router?

Do you have a firewall enabled on your router?
Not that can be seen from the router's GUI, but it is a router provided by the cable company and is lacking in many ways.

I will be swapping it out for a more configurable device this weekend, but for troubleshooting purposes in the meantime what would you have recommended trying if I gave a definitive "no, it does not have a firewall"?

You can ping devices on your network from PVE, therefore it has an IP and is on the network. So there has to be something that prevents devices from connecting to PVE. The only thing in between devices and PVE is the router. All I can think of has to do with the router having some setting that prevents connections to PVE, doesn't have to be a firewall, could also be some other setting.
Unless the devices themself don't allow the connection to PVE, but that seems unlikely and pretty far-fetched.

Reactions: beeman
You can ping devices on your network from PVE, therefore it has an IP and is on the network. So there has to be something that prevents devices from connecting to PVE. The only thing in between devices and PVE is the router. All I can think of has to do with the router having some setting that prevents connections to PVE, doesn't have to be a firewall, could also be some other setting.
Unless the devices themself don't allow the connection to PVE, but that seems unlikely and pretty far-fetched.
Will report back after swapping out the router. Thanks for your help so far

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!