GUI acces from two Networks

aurel81

Oct 12, 2024
Hello, i am trying to setup my proxmox to be accessible via two different networks.
my ProxVE host has 4 NICs, 2 gonna be used by opnsense and the remaining, i like to use for the GUI.

ProxVE is part of my upcoming homelab (IP 10.10.10.x) but for convenience i wanted to able to configure it using my current lan (192.168.0.x) (if i mess up while configuring the mgmt vlan and loose accessibility). No WAN access necessary, so i could establish a connection via my current router or simply plug it into my pc for a direct connection using static ips...

creating a 2nd bridge, fails for the moment as i cant have two gateways -> stumbled over this thread and following this short article but most probably i am not clever enough, as i cant find the solution why it isnt working for me

most probably its easy to fix, i tried to take a break, but cant find the solution ...
can you help me and if yes ... what information do you need ;-)
thxia

Hi,

In general, the Proxmox VE API and web UI listens to every address that it's reachable, so that part should be covered and all depends on your network configuration.

and the remaining, i like to use for the GUI.
What do you mean exactly here? Do you want redundancy or have three networks separated, i.e. the WAN and one LAN that pfsense manages and a second LAN that is just for access PVE itself?

creating a 2nd bridge, fails for the moment as i cant have two gateways
Creating two default gateways won't work, but you can have multiple routes.

Depending on how this is all wired up, including the connection from your host to the PVE, and the answer to above question it might be enough to just assign the second bridge an CIDR address like, e.g. 192.168.0.123/24, with that you tell the system that this bridge and its network adapters are responsible for any traffic that should go to an address in the 192.168.0.0/24 network (i.e., 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255).

You can then check all active network routes with ip -c route (the -c is just to get some colors to make the output easier to read). The one defined as gateway is the first one starting with "default via ...".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!