Guest loses PCIe Devices after Guest Reboot

TriBeard

May 7, 2021
I have a proxmox server with a GTX 1060 and a PCIe TV tuner card. After a host reboot things work well, at least for a while, but if I reboot the guest for any reason it loses both the PCIe devices and cannot get them back until I reboot the entire node. It's very frustrating and I'm not sure what to do to fix it. I've tried reviewing all the guides for PCIe passthrough and can't find anything I haven't done. Here's the error I get after a guest reboot:

1620406268374.png

Some devices just don't reset properly or have no FLR functionality. Since it works when starting the VM once, maybe dumping the ROM of the device to a file and adding romfile= to hostpci can help. Try to touch the device as little as possible, by blacklisting the driver(s) or binding to pci-stub or vfio, before reading the ROM.

Some devices just don't reset properly or have no FLR functionality. Since it works when starting the VM once, maybe dumping the ROM of the device to a file and adding romfile= to hostpci can help. Try to touch the device as little as possible, by blacklisting the driver(s) or binding to pci-stub or vfio, before reading the ROM.

I'd believe that if it were just the GPU or just the tv tuner, but it seems unlikely, though of course not impossible, that both of them would have the exact same problem. It's like PCI passthrough breaks entirely, not that one device has an issue. That's why I suspect a host issue vs a guest issue, but I'm not sure.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!