guest-agent

fmarzocca

Sep 18, 2019
I have installed VirtIO and guest-agent in the VM, then I cloned it but in the cloned VM there is no guest-agent....
What am I missing?

I have installed VirtIO and guest-agent in the VM, then I cloned it but in the cloned VM there is no guest-agent....
What am I missing?

HI :)

If it a windows vm:

You go into device manager, found pci controler and right click->Update Driver and select on the mounted iso in DRIVE:\vioserial\<OSVERSION>\ where <OSVERSION> is your Windows Version (e.g. 2k12R2 for Windows 2012 R2) ?
After this step you go and Execute the installer with double click (either qemu-ga-x64.msi (64-bit) or qemu-ga-x86.msi (32-bit) from mounted iso?

Via Proxmox UI you enable Guest Agent?
Into task manager can you find a procces called QEMU machine emulators?

For linux:

you only need to run:
apt-get install qemu-guest-agent
or
yum install qemu-guest-agent

Depend how distrib of linux ism installed there :)

Thanks,
Alin :)

Reactions: guletz
Hi Alin,

thank you very much. I know that for Linux everything is easier, but unfortunately this is Windows. :-(
I have fixed, thanks. Now I have a problem, how can I update all the linked clones without deleting them and reinstalling (while users are active)...?

Well this is a problem with proxmox, you cant edit anymore vm who was converted to clone.
Solution?
1.Full clone for initial template edit, change... convert to template.
Why you cant convert and re -convert?

Because proxmox have that option called "linked clone" who use virtual disk of the template for n vm's. If you modify something in time who other 10 vm's run based on that virtual disk... well it's not the best expected behavioral :p

Thanks,
Alin.

Because proxmox have that option called "linked clone" who use virtual disk of the template for n vm's. If you modify something in time who other 10 vm's run based on that virtual disk... well it's not the best expected behavioral :p

Understand. So ProxMox is definitely NOT a VDI platform. I can't close the Company to perform a Windows Update! :)
Thanks.

Well you need to understand the advantages and disadvantages of link clone, please clone a vm with 500gb disk space on esxi (where all clones are in fact full clones) and a link clone on proxmox (who take 3 4 and in worst scenario 10 sec and after that you can started up..)

We have >1000 users in the COmpany. Updateing each VM is not an option. Currently we are using a commercial VDI product and to update all user's VM we have just to update one Gold Image and publish it.

ok i "sell" for you a solution but need to be tested and evetualy updated to win2016 or 2019 ;)

MUST READ: 1. If the step below does not work verify then you are most likely part of a domain and your security policy may not allow you to perform steps below! 2. UAC prompts were also disabled for the duration of the windows updates so the batch files can run without interruption; be careful to restore this to default when done

First you will have to make sure your computer automatically logs into a user. You can do this by clicking start menu, type "netplwiz", press enter or open the wizard, under the users tab, select your username, and un-check "require password", type your password, close this window.

2. Create 3 batch files to start the automated process. (Open notepad paste each code into a separate notepad and perform a save as corresponding_file_name.bat)

One. Save as: any_name.bat then copy this batch file to your startup folder for the user you made auto login. (Click start > All Programs > Startup)

start "" c:\autoupdate1.bat
exit

Two. Save as: autoupdate1.bat then copy this to C:\ drive

wuauclt /detectnow
wuauclt /updatenow
reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired" > nul && shutdown -r -t 0
start "" c:\autoupdate2.bat
exit

Three. Save as: autoupdate2.bat then copy this to C:\ drive

ping 127.0.0.1 -n 61 > nul
start "" c:\autoupdate1.bat
exit

Restart or open the batch file in the startup folder and watch the magic begin!

3. When it is completely done updating just delete the batch files from the startup folder & c:\ drive

Once again follow these instructions at your own risk as it can create an endless loop if you do not know how to stop this process by removing it from the startup folder or going into windows under safe-mode to remove the batch files

Final notes: If you run into issues running the batch files chances are you may have to look up how to disable UAC prompts for your Windows version

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!