Guest Agent not running on Ubunto VM

Rockel83

Sep 10, 2024
Hello all, I'm verry new to Proxmox (verry obviously I guess). And I primarily started using it after migrating my Home Assistant configuration from a RPI to a mini PC.
It's still a waste of resources only using that whole PC for only Home Assistant, so Proxmox seemed to be a perfect option to run other instances alongside.
I'm also verry new to VM's and LXC's in general. I've read a lot of thing about that already, so I guess I'm starting to understand things a bit now.

But I still needed to use some guides to install things.

First I installed Home Assistant using the tteck scripts here: https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/. Which went fine and which is running without problems (well I need to look after some drivers, while not all seems to be recognized. But in general it's up and running). Then I installed some network related stuff, which also seems to work fine.

I want to get more familiar with Linux, so I thought it would be a good idea to put Ubunto in a VM.

I've used this script for that https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/#ubuntu-2404-vm. And I used the advance option, to be able to check or even change some things when needed. And left most of the settings just on default.

Everything seems to be OK, although the VM was offline after creation, while all the other VM's and LXC's were up and running after creation. So this was new for me. And I don't know if it's normal behaviour. But just clicking the "start" button just seemed to work fine on that.

Question: But shouldn't it run automatically? Or does it just have something to do with the following?

After the VM started I was looking for the IP address, to enter the Ubunto. But "IPs" showing me "Guest Agent not running".

I've found some topics when googling this error, but I actually don't want to just try things without understanding them.

So could anyone maybe explain why I have this "error" at this installation, and not had this at the install of Home Assistant and the LXC's? Did I maybe made a wrong choice during setting up the VM? Or is this standard for a Ubuntu VM or maybe any other OS in a VM?

Thanks in advance! :)

PS, I believe I only had changed the default "Machine Type" (i440fx) to q35, while I read that this is a newer standard.

Last edited:
I've just had a look. The package qemu-guest-agent is missing in the default. This needs to be installed.

Code:
apt update
apt intall qemu-guest-agent

And then start the agent with systemctl start qemu-guest-agent.service or reboot. It is also a good idea to send the script creator a short info about the Qemu Guest Agent.

Reactions: Rockel83
I've just had a look. The package qemu-guest-agent is missing in the default. This needs to be installed.

Code:
apt update
apt intall qemu-guest-agent

And then start the agent with systemctl start qemu-guest-agent.service or reboot. It is also a good idea to send the script creator a short info about the Qemu Guest Agent.

Thanks a lot for your help and effort.

I tried it immediately, but I was asked for a password while trying to execute "apt update" in the Ubuntu VM console. During the script and the Ubunto VM creation, no username or password was asked. So I got a bit stuck there.

Searched google for standard root passwords, but it seem there aren't, and some things like "leaving blanc" or "root" didn't worked either.
After searching a while, I was thinking going to look to contact or a forum from the script creator. But then I noticed his link on the Ubuntu VM script page:
https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/discussions/2072

I don't think it was pointed out verry good, But It seems it's related to creating a Ubuntu user with a password. I tried the first 5 steps. And I was hoping that it would also create this "QEMU quest agent" giving me a host IP, while I set both IP4 and IP6 to DHCP in step "4" in Proxmox.

'm still having the "Guest Agent not running" message. But when trying "apt update" in the console now, then I'm able logging in with "root" and my own created password in step "2".

Is it possible that I may have ruined the initialization by already starting the service before walking through these 5 steps first?
I did not have tried "apt intall qemu-guest-agent" yet. But "apt update" did work after following the first steps.

Thanks a lot for your help and effort.

I tried it immediately, but I was asked for a password while trying to execute "apt update" in the Ubuntu VM console. During the script and the Ubunto VM creation, no username or password was asked. So I got a bit stuck there.

Searched google for standard root passwords, but it seem there aren't, and some things like "leaving blanc" or "root" didn't worked either.
After searching a while, I was thinking going to look to contact or a forum from the script creator. But then I noticed his link on the Ubuntu VM script page:
https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/discussions/2072

I don't think it was pointed out verry good, But It seems it's related to creating a Ubuntu user with a password. I tried the first 5 steps. And I was hoping that it would also create this "QEMU quest agent" giving me a host IP, while I set both IP4 and IP6 to DHCP in step "4" in Proxmox.

'm still having the "Guest Agent not running" message. But when trying "apt update" in the console now, then I'm able logging in with "root" and my own created password in step "2".

Is it possible that I may have ruined the initialization by already starting the service before walking through these 5 steps first?
I did not have tried "apt intall qemu-guest-agent" yet. But "apt update" did work after following the first steps.
Please have a look at the apt basic guide: https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/package-management

Reactions: Rockel83

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!