grub_is_lockdown - server boot problem

Ryrzy

Jan 10, 2021
Hello :)
Yesterday I wanted to prepare to update proxmox from version 7.x to 8.x. After running the pve7to8 command, a warning appeared to install the grub-efi-amd64 package, so ok, I installed it and just to be on the safe side, I restarted the server. After that, the server did not get up again and stayed in grub rescue with the error "error symbol grub_is_lockdown not found". Even the grub menu with kernel selection doesn't show up.
Going further, I managed to turn on the server via a pendrive with the Proxmox installation and selecting "Rescue boot", I thought that maybe updating to version 8.x would help with this problem and fix grub, the update went fine, almost without any problems, but it did not fix it to boot the server. Also, to run Proxmox I have to boot it from a pendrive. Can anyone help, or is it just a matter of wiping the disk and installing everything from scratch (I would like to avoid this)?

Reactions: relyt827
ok, when i check efibootmgr -v there is no boot0000 proxmox, when i use grub-install its there and works only once... i reboot server, it work, second time grub_is_lockdown is back and no boot0000 proxmox in efibootmgr -v :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: relyt827

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!