grub rescue : “error: symbol ‘grub_disk_native_sectors’ not found”

mediaklan

Sep 30, 2021
www.mediaklan.com
Hello to you all,
It seems I have messed up my proxmox machine with an apt update this morning. I think it was grub-pc or something like that, which asks during the update where grub was installed. Well, I think I didn't answered correctly. Anyway, here's where I am for now :
- I end up in grub rescue mode. From there I can do "ls", which gives something like that :
(lvm/pve-root) (lvm/pve-swap) (hd0) (hd0,gpt1) (hd1) (hd1,gpt1) (hd2) (hd0,gpt3) (hd2,gpt2) (hd2,gpt1) error out of memory
- (lvm/pve-root) seems the one that contains boot/ with vmlinuz-6.2.15-pve
- I can do set root=(lvm/pve-root) (which I don't really know if it's correct) and that's pretty much where I'm stuck for now.
Could you please help me through this ? Thanks !

A little update : this page from the wiki have been greatly helpful.
Basically, I booted from the Proxmox 8.0.iso image and choose "rescue mode". There it magically ended up booting my proxmox machine without any kind of intervention from me (I have no idea how this works). Now I'm still not sure what to do.
I think I should follow this part :
update-grub
grub-install /dev/sda

but I'm unsure if this is what is appropriate in my case. Will try eventually.

Everyone updated today has the same Issue.
Proxmox staff should work on it and should patch this issue

Reactions: triks
I had this feeling that I will not end up being the only one.
Unbelievable how a tiny binary can f*ck a great running proxmox installation.
Well, this is my fault, never had the motivation to learn more about grub/uefi/(etc) and have only a little knowledge about it all.
Anyway, I got everything running back again but now I think I've greatly messed up UEFI secure boot ^^´.
So, UEFI disabled for reason of being very lazy. Problem solved.

how you resolved th issue?
In this order :
- using ventoy to boot with proxmox latest ISO
- choose "advanced mode" when asked then "rescue mode"
- from there, the rescue mode boot into my proxmox server
- update-grub
- grub-install /dev/sda
In my BIOS, I can choose and override the boot disk (not sure if I can call it that in english)
I had to choose between these 2, named like this :
1/ sabrent (my nvme disk where proxmox is installed)
2/ proxmox (i think this one should refer to /dev/sda)
The first one, which was the one previously selected, is not working now, so I choose the second one.
... Boot OK

how frustrating, updated grub as instructed by update using command apt grub-efi-amd64 and now Proxmox won't boot.

error: symbol 'grub_disk_native_sectors' not found.

Last edited:
In this order :
- using ventoy to boot with proxmox latest ISO
- choose "advanced mode" when asked then "rescue mode"
- from there, the rescue mode boot into my proxmox server
- update-grub
- grub-install /dev/sda
In my BIOS, I can choose and override the boot disk (not sure if I can call it that in english)
I had to choose between these 2, named like this :
1/ sabrent (my nvme disk where proxmox is installed)
2/ proxmox (i think this one should refer to /dev/sda)
The first one, which was the one previously selected, is not working now, so I choose the second one.
... Boot OK
thank you @mediaklan, your instructions worked for me even though the same error appears when I reboot. I then have to manually press F9 and select the different boot drive. Now have to work out how to edit that list as the bios doesn't let me modify or select a default.

update: ended up using the "efibootmgr" command to mark inactive the first boot drive.
Complete command in my case was "efibootmgr -A -b 0000"

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!