Greylist: problem with senders with multiple MX??

tdemeyer

Oct 2, 2007
Hi all,

I recently started using greylisting for incoming mails. Great feature: spam dropped 99.9%!! :)

I've monitoring the greylist for some days now, and I suspect there may be a small problem with accepting regular mails that have been greylisted.

In my greylist, I see that a lot of mails (from legitimate senders) entering the greylist. As the sending server gets a "service not available" at that time, the mail is resend a few minutes later, but originating from an other ip adress (other outgoing mail server for that same domain). It seems that this second mail gets greylisted too, thus not confirming the first mail... (I have mails from a national ISP (telenet.be) that are listed 5 times, each with different IP adress)

Am I correct with this observation?

If they really send the same mail from different class C networks you need to whitelist those addresses to avoid greylisting.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!