GPU passthrough. Problem with 5 characters length PCI domain and assign to IOMMU group.

GrandGCH

Apr 25, 2022
Hello everyone!
I have a problem. I have a server on s2600wf0 Intel MB and Intel Xeon Gold 6246R as CPU. I trying passthroughGPU Quadro RTX 4000 according to the instructions on forum.
Here is a problem. I don't know, but proxmox doens't recognize PCI device for throughput if their PCI domain is 5 characters length. As an example, my GPU has 10000:01:00.0 Domain : Bus : Device . Function. And hypervisor, initially did not see it. In searching, i found interesting topic, where was 2 patch for fixing that [1, 2] . I applied it and one problem gone, another came.
At system start, for device with 5-length Domain are not assigned a IOMMU group (spoiler below). And i don't know, what i supposed to do now. Maybe there is another source code file which rules creating IOMMU group while boot and i must change another regex similar to previous files?
Thank you for your answers!

2022-04-26_00-17-20.png

pve-manager/6.4-14/15e2bf61 (running kernel: 5.4.174-2-pve)

lspci -k

dmesg | grep DMAR

dmesg | grep -i vfio

grub

pve-blacklist

vfio.conf

Last edited:
no those two patches should fix the issue... did you restart the pvedaemon/pveproxy after applying them?
if yes, can you post the output of the following bash script?
Code:
#!/bin/bash
shopt -s nullglob
for g in $(find /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/* -maxdepth 0 -type d | sort -V); do
    echo "IOMMU Group ${g##*/}:"
    for d in $g/devices/*; do
        echo -e "\t$(lspci -nnDs ${d##*/})"
    done;
done;

no those two patches should fix the issue... did you restart the pvedaemon/pveproxy after applying them?
if yes, can you post the output of the following bash script?
Code:
#!/bin/bash
shopt -s nullglob
for g in $(find /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/* -maxdepth 0 -type d | sort -V); do
    echo "IOMMU Group ${g##*/}:"
    for d in $g/devices/*; do
        echo -e "\t$(lspci -nnDs ${d##*/})"
    done;
done;
Upd. Yep i reboot server many times after changing .pi files

Here
Interesting moment is only 16 bit pci domain device has attached to IOMMU.
32 bit, including GPU and, propably, Intel VMD raid not have any Iommu group.

Maybe you check my syslog file, look for 10000:01:00.0 device id, it think it maybe the problem

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!