[SOLVED] GPU Passthrough Lag Spikes

NojuHD

May 1, 2022
Hello Guys,

i have a problem with my gpu passthrough on my Windows 11 VM.

The passthrough it self works but after login on my win 11 vm the picture freezes for like 10 seconds, after this it works fine untill i open the display settings via. right click on the desktop then the same kind of freeze will happen again. This freezes sometimes also happen randomly.

Weird thing i noticed is that everytime i have a freeze i see in the taskmanager that my cpu usage drops a bit and my gpu usage drops completely to 0%

Hope someone can help me :)

I had this also once, and the GPU was too old. I switched to a newer one and it worked fine.

What GPU are you using?

As with any PCIe passthrough problems:
  • switch slot
  • update kernel (or try different kernels)
  • try around any combination of kernel parameters
but it often just boils down to having nor not having luck with respect to the compatibility of mainboard and PCIe cards.

Hard to say because you have given almost no information about your system or your VM configuration.
Are you using all your cores and memory for a single VM? Not using all cores/memory often makes VMs more responsive because Proxmox and I/O also need CPU.

My System:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3960x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse rx 6600xt
Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus Extreme TRX40 REV 1.1
RAM: some Samsung 2600 mhz ram ecc
SSD: Samsung nvme 980 pro pcie 4.0 2 TB

And jet i did not notice the Problem on a Linux VM :)

I'll send my VM config later :)

Yep seems like a Windows Problem. As i opend the thread i didnt actually know that linux works.

FYI: MSI is turned on and Ballooing is off

Sorry for taking you time :)

Last edited:
Hard to say because you have given almost no information about your system or your VM configuration.
Are you using all your cores and memory for a single VM? Not using all cores/memory often makes VMs more responsive because Proxmox and I/O also need CPU.
Hi.. sorry to follow this tread
in my case, my PC: R5 3600, RAM 16GB, rx 6600XT

I have only 1 VM hackintos, what is the best setting in VM hackintos (CPU and RAM) to make hackintos run full potential at least for CPU and ram?
my setting in VM for now is CPU (3 slot, 2core), RAM (8192)

thanks in advance

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!