GPU passthrough guide ?

un1xl0ver

Sep 15, 2024
I have an Intel I7 NUC which has the following graphics device:
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 01)

I'm trying to find a guide or general information to get GPU pass through to LXC container and/or VMs on my proxmox server.

I have tried to work with an lxc container and have the following config, but it doesn't see a GPU.

arch: amd64
cmode: console
cores: 2
features: nesting=1
hostname: myarch
memory: 4096
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=BC:24:11:92:FB:8F,ip=dhcp,type=veth
ostype: archlinux
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-103-disk-0,size=60G
swap: 512
unprivileged: 1
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 226:1 rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 226:128 rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dri/renderD128 dev/dri/renderD128 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dri/card1 dev/dri/card1 none bind,optional,create=file

I've seen references to IOMMU which I don't understand, and haven't found a clear enough guide to try and change anything with GRUB
on the proxmox server.

This is the view on /dev/dri on the proxmox server
root@pvehl:/dev/dri# ls -l /dev/dri
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Sep 14 15:09 by-path
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226, 1 Sep 14 15:09 card1
crw-rw----+ 1 root render 226, 128 Sep 14 15:09 renderD128

The other thing I tried was change from unprivileged to privileged and back to unprivileged; don't know if that screwed up anything.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!