GPU OVMF PCI PASSTHROUGH error : "using uefi without permanent efivars disk"

derp

May 30, 2017
Hi

I tried switching from GPU Seabios PCI PASSTHROUGH which worked fine to GPU OVMF PCI PASSTHROUGH and i can't get it to work, i get the sentence "using uefi without permanent efivars disk", and i end up on an UEFI INteractive shell.
My hardware is Asus x370 Prime Pro, ryzen 1800x and a gtx 1060 3GB so i don't think it's an hardware problem.
This is my vm .conf file :

bios: ovmf
cores: 4
cpu: host
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
memory: 8192
name: nippongo
net0: virtio=1E:41:5E:16:1F:18,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win7
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=20366780-43a3-40cb-b64a-1e84cd2640e1
sockets: 2
vga: std
bootdisk: scsi0
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1,size=32G
hostpci0: 29:00,x-vga=on
usb0: host=5-3
usb1: host=1-14

Also i'm having trouble plugging an usb drive, whenever i add a usb2 to the config file and boot, both mouse and keyboard stop working.

If anyone can help, thanks.

You need to add a special EFI disk to the VM for this to work. If you go into the GUI and Hardware for the VM and then add you'll see EFI Disk.

It solved the notification indeed but i'm still stuck in an uefi shell, when using exit i get to a boot choice but nothing is working.

if you installed using bios mode, you cannot simply switch to uefi
i do not know if you can change to uefi mode on windows, but on real hardware i always had to reinstall windows for this

It solved the notification indeed but i'm still stuck in an uefi shell, when using exit i get to a boot choice but nothing is working.

Sorry just read your message again but if this a VM your trying to switch from SeaBIOS to EFI without a re-install? I don't think that works on Windows, you need to reinstall unless your on the latest and follow a process like mentioned in this article...

https://miketerrill.net/2017/01/15/bios-to-uefi-made-easier-with-windows-10-creators-update/

Have a backup though as likely once you change it you won't be able to use the SeaBIOS again on that install.

Ok, so trying to set up a new vm using OVMF (UEFI) as BIOS, added an EFI disk but now i can't get to boot on my iso drive.
I end up in the same boot manager after exiting an UEFI shell but when i enter on my CD/DVD Drive sata4 which contains my iso for windows 7 nothing happens. I tried different isos, tried with OS type set to windows 8, but to no avail.

Ok, so trying to set up a new vm using OVMF (UEFI) as BIOS, added an EFI disk but now i can't get to boot on my iso drive.
I end up in the same boot manager after exiting an UEFI shell but when i enter on my CD/DVD Drive sata4 which contains my iso for windows 7 nothing happens. I tried different isos, tried with OS type set to windows 8, but to no avail.

that uefi is a bit tricky

you got to be
a) pretty fast with selecting to start the windows install cause it goes to the shell within 5-10 seconds
b) disable the boot options you don't need (start with disk + cdrom and be quick with pressing the "press a key to start from cd..." , later put only the disk option)

the efi disk is not really needed for single install and if you're using "vanilla uefi settings"

No i only get a proxmox screen at boot, no option to boot CD by hiting a key, disabling the other boot options only made it quicker to get to the UEFI shell.

So i'm guessing you can't really go ovmf with windows 7 ?

Last edited:
Ok so I'm trying to install from an usb flashed with windows 7 ready for UEFI.
Having trouble to boot the vm using usb, i only tried adding usb0: host=5-2 in the conf file.

Still not getting anything when i get through the UEFI Boot and choose my usb

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!