GlusterFS with multiple Gluster Servers

fknorn

Renowned Member
Jun 2, 2014
Hi there,

I successfully added shared gluster storage (from a single server) to my proxmox cluster (aim: HA). I can migrate CTs from failed nodes, all good. Except that the GlusterFS server is now a single point of failure...

So, I've replicated that storage across two gluster servers.

How do I add those two guys to Proxmox so that I can store my containers on them and relocate CTs from failed nodes?

I've used this guide here, but when I mount the storage pool this way to all nodes (using the proxmox storage GUI, type "local", but ticking "shared") it doesn't seem to be truly shared, as I can't move CTs from failed nodes in that case ("no route to host" when I try to migrate)...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Ok, answering my own question here: "It just works."

That is, if you have a storage pool (a bunch of gluster servers peered together with replicated volumes, etc.) you just need to add one of them through the proxmox storage GUI. The client, under the hood, will know about the other servers and use them.

When testing, like pulling out a network cable on one of the gluster servers, you have to be a bit patient — there seems to be a 42s second delay before things continue to work again (I guess some internal timeout somewhere).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!