Getting Proxmox to phone home with OpenVPN client

sapphiron

Nov 2, 2012
Hi All

Part of my business is doing IT infrastructure audits at client sites. This usually involves a manual inspection and dropping a box with spiceworks on it to monitor their network. That said I am using more and more Linux based diagnostic tools.

I am looking to make that audit box a proxmox host and to run my audit software as various virtual machines. That way:
1. I can revert to snapshots of a clean installation after each audit is complete
2. I only need to put one box down
3. I can provision new monitoring systems remotely.

The question I have is pertaining to remote access to the virtual host. most Clients wont forward firewall ports for external access, not can they supply me with VPN details.

What I thought I can do is to install an OpenVPN client on the remote host and have it "phone home" to my office. That way, I can manage the box remotely using the hosts VPN IP address. For clients who's firewalls dont block outgoing ports, it should work fine, and they shouldn't have a problem opening the outgoing port.

The question I have is, apart from installing the OpenVPN client on the host, what else would I need to configure in order to access the webgui and VNC connections on the box. Are there any things like a local firewall, or allowed network adapters settings?

you tried looking at http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Configu...uster_running_over_a_private_OpenVPN_intranet

Might not be a 100% what your looking for but you could use some parts off it to setup prox as a Openvpn server on 10.x.x.x network fire up openvpn on you desktop and then you be on the network off you vm's i do this to mange my 3 node box.

my server only had 2 ip's (from the outside world) but i have a 20 vm's most off them just runs Vmbr13 that is a fake network or the local lan.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!