FYI: Potential hang/lockup when installing

xrobau

Sep 4, 2022
QLD, Australia
clearlyip.com
TL;DR: If your machine is hanging on install, disable VT-d in the BIOS

As I'm trialing Proxmox, I'm installing it on three machines. One (luckily for me, the first) installed without a problem, I managed to get it all set up, and it worked fine. I then decomissioned two older vmware machines and tried to install proxmox on them. Both of them hung on install, and at slightly different times, and it *hard hung* - the mouse in the installer GUI wouldn't move or anything!

Both were up to date with all firmware settings, etc, the normal things.

After trying a couple of times, I switched to the text console after starting the install, and saw a bunch of errors like

DMAR: ERROR: DMA PTE for vPFN xxxxxx already set (to yyyyyy not yyyyyy)

This lead me to a (as yet unmerged) kernel patch documented on launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1970453

I confirmed that I was able to repeatedly replicate it by simply cat /dev/zero > /dev/sda, and then turned off VT-d in the bios. Instant fix!

So if people are having strange issues where their machines are hard-freezing, give it a shot!

If I remember correctly, IOMMU was enabled by default for Intel in the kernel version of the installer. Later, this was reverted because it caused problems on older machines. Adding intel_iommu=off to the kernel parameters will also help, but disabling IOMMU (VT-d) in BIOS is indeed a work-around. I expect this to be fixed for the next installer (as it is fixed for newer kernel versions).

Bump, this is still broken in the current installer, more than a month later.
Bump, this is still broken in the current installer 7.3.3
Well, i can boot and the HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen 8 works but there are still:

dmar error dma pte for vPFN already set bla bla bla..........

Last edited:
disable VT-d
Bump, this is still broken in the current installer 7.3.3
Well, i can boot and the HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen 8 works but there are still:

dmar error dma pte for vPFN already set bla bla bla..........
disable VT-d

This is still a problem. Hopefully one day the installer will account for this and disabling VT-d won't be needed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!