[SOLVED] Fujitsu D3644-B1 (Bios R1.28.0) + PVE 8.2.4 + Kernel 6.8.8-3-pve --> NIC hang after reboot

connaisseur

Jul 1, 2020
Hello!

After moving one PVE instance onto my beloved Fujitsu D3644-B1 board, after updating to subjects PVE / Kernel state, I observed a network loss after reboot.

Network driver is the e1000e, lspci showsIntel ... I219-LM (rev 10)NIC.

Checked console --> ethtool eno1 shows a link speed of 10Mb/s. Should be 1000Mb/s.

After some searching here a suggested solution was

post-up /usr/sbin/ethtool -K eno1 gso off tso off

This does not work for me.

NIC stays at link speed of 10Mb/s.

Anyone with a hint for me?

Thanks,
--volker

Have you installed all firmware updates? Maybe a strange side effect with the adapter firmware?
As you can see in the subject, I have installed Bios R1.28.0. This is the latest from Kontron - they purchased Fujitsu Mainboards some years ago. Presumably this will be the final BIOS.

To my knowledge there were no extra adapter firmware files available, neither by Fuijitsu in the past, nor currently by Kontron.

If you like to share knowledge, links and some such, I'm willing to dig into it.

I was asking specifically about the network adapter firmware. I've done multiple updates of them over the years and it is always a PITA to get them. The official Fujitsu process is mainly possible via RHEL (if you need Linux) and need an english environment and all the right parameters to get them working. Even a wrong subrelease version of RHEL can yield just an error message.

I was asking specifically about the network adapter firmware. I've done multiple updates of them over the years and it is always a PITA to get them. The official Fujitsu process is mainly possible via RHEL (if you need Linux) and need an english environment and all the right parameters to get them working. Even a wrong subrelease version of RHEL can yield just an error message.
Would you then please kindly share links to read in / to download?

Or search words for a search engine?

I don't know about Kontron, but I get my Fujitsu updates through the default support channels. Even for machines that are EOL. so just plug in your device identifier / machine serial and get the downloads there.
This is a known location. Have received BIOS files for this particular board from there and iterated over with every release from R1.5.0. + BIOS default loading + then next BIOS level. Then repeating the same steps with the ones from Kontron.

Have you check if there is a firmware update for the nics available? The firmware is normally in the Drivers tab, LAN group and the firmware update utility in the Applications tab.

Have you check if there is a firmware update for the nics available? The firmware is normally in the Drivers tab, LAN group and the firmware update utility in the Applications tab.
No. Unlucikly no trace of it.

just normal windows 10 & 7 drivers under LAN

Application tab is simply empty.

Guess you haven't checked, right?

Hello!

After moving one PVE instance onto my beloved Fujitsu D3644-B1 board, after updating to subjects PVE / Kernel state, I observed a network loss after reboot.

Network driver is the e1000e, lspci showsIntel ... I219-LM (rev 10)NIC.

Checked console --> ethtool eno1 shows a link speed of 10Mb/s. Should be 1000Mb/s.

After some searching here a suggested solution was

post-up /usr/sbin/ethtool -K eno1 gso off tso off

This does not work for me.

NIC stays at link speed of 10Mb/s.

Anyone with a hint for me?

Thanks,
--volker
To reply to myself:

Looks like for this specific board the current proxmox provided kernel versions (6.8.8) do not work with the e1000e module.

Booting a 6.5.13-6-pve kernel via grub menu gives me constant and reliable network connectivity. I pinned this version with proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 6.5.13-6-pve

Also a quick boot off an USB-Stick with my favorite ArchLinux distro (6.9.7 kernel) showed that the e1000e module set up a good network link.

Last edited:
just normal windows 10 & 7 drivers under LAN
Normally, you would switch to linux or os independend as operating system... yet ....

Guess you haven't checked, right?
...I just plugged in your product specification and there are no non-windows drivers. So you're out of luck. Is this hardware not cerfified to run Linux? Does not look like it ..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!