FS freeze after installing qemu guest agent - reproducible

mailinglists

Renowned Member
Mar 14, 2012
Hi,

i just noticed that installing qemu guest agent can freeze VM.

This is how to reproduce it.

Create KVM VM. Set Qemu agent to Yes under options. Install Linux VM without Qemu Agent. Ran one or more automated backups, where PM tries to freeze VMs FS, but fails. Install qemu guest agent on VM. (I have also done some qm agent XXX pings alongside on host). Wait for guest V to freeze due to FS freeze order from host. Do a hard reboot of guest to bring it back.

It seems to me that there is a queue for qemu agent commands, which gets run even if qemu agent comes back a few days after agent commands were executed. :)

Should I submit a bug?

i do not think that is something that can be fixed, since the way the guest agent communicates is a serial terminal inside and socket on the outside
this simply stores the messages until somebody reads them

You could always submit a unfreeze FS command to the queue, if there is a freeze command waiting.

I have had the same problems in the past, when storage pool was overwhelmed and did not respond in time, so VMs just got locked and never unlocked. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!