Frustrating Nvidia Card Issue

Jeepnutt

Aug 1, 2024
I am trying (for the last 3 hours) to install promox on my pc. I have an i9 12900K and an MSI motherboard with z690 along with a 3090. I see there are issues with nvidia and installing promox. I used the nomodeset and it finally passed the loading driver screen but now gets hung up on something else and won't install. I am really new to Linux so all the "guides" are way over my head. I have been reading about how easy this program is, but I can't even get it installed. This is why Linux sucks and will never be main stream. It's so damn frustrating for new people to work with. Guess i'm back to windows and a dual seat program. Ridiculous.

I have no idea. Let me go try to fail again and get the long error message posted here

Turned off secure boot and trusted computing and got it installed. Cool. Now it says to go to 192.168.100.2:8006 from browser. And of course that isn't working either. Guess another 3 hours to figure out how to log in. Just stupid.

Turned off secure boot and trusted computing and got it installed. Cool.

Well that was fast.

Now it says to go to 192.168.100.2:8006 from browser.

And what does ip a show? Is this part of the network your router will not make any conflict with? (e.g. .2 address likely would have been part of it's DHCP pool).

And of course that isn't working either.

ping 192.168.100.2 from another machine on the same network does work?

Guess another 3 hours to figure out how to log in. Just stupid.

I don't know, if you are fast, might be fast reply too. :D

Reactions: leesteken
Alright. Originally installed it without internet connection. This lead to the 192.168.100.2. That is not part of my domain as proxmox was just using the default. I reinstalled (since i have no clue how to change that) with internet and it gave me the correct IP address. I can now log in. Told you guys I am new. By the way the username isn't the domain name it's "root" Took me about 15 minutes to figure that out as well. Now I will try to configure it and hopefully it will work. I really appreciate the quick responses and guess I just need to study Linux for the next 3 years so i have a basic knowledge.

Alright. Originally installed it without internet connection. This lead to the 192.168.100.2.

When you do not know what to enter to a field, it is better to check the docs or ask than to leave it just default.

That is not part of my domain as proxmox was just using the default. I reinstalled (since i have no clue how to change that) with internet and it gave me the correct IP address. I can now log in. Told you guys I am new.

You did not mention this, I read your post like you were simply struggling get it to work with Nvidia, which arguably sucks. :)

By the way the username isn't the domain name it's "root" Took me about 15 minutes to figure that out as well.

It's in the docs as well:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_login

If you are new to Linux in general, it might be simpler for you to follow step by a step e.g. some YouTube video with PVE install.

Now I will try to configure it and hopefully it will work. I really appreciate the quick responses and guess I just need to study Linux for the next 3 years so i have a basic knowledge.

You will definitely learn more about how things work when you turn frustration into curiosity. :) Cheers and have fun! Don't be afraid of the terminal.

it gave me the correct IP address

One thing to keep in mind - as you do not post any details as you go along - if you statically assigned some IP address on the same subnet now and it works for you, cool. But keep in mind that the address is basically your PVE install claiming that IP address for itself. If, at the same time, you have your router set up to assign addresses to other machines (which make use of it) by DHCP, there's a range (a setting in your router) from which to pick them.

If you do not make sure that the range does NOT include addresses you statically assign (like the one to PVE), you will have an IP conflict later down the road which is definitely fun to troubleshoot as the symptoms look very weird case to case. So keep that in mind and better check now before you forget.

Reactions: leesteken
Looks like I'll leave it to you guys. I'm out. 6 hours of messing around and I still have no idea how to even run a VM. I started watching a youtube video and it's just too much. I admit I have a block/hatred of Linux from trying to play with it in the past and it looks like that hatred will continue. Back to windows where i can al least install it without issue. I'm sure this is great if I have 100 hours to screw with it, I don't so i'm out. Thanks for the help.

Looks like I'll leave it to you guys. I'm out. 6 hours of messing around and I still have no idea how to even run a VM.

That's a bit strange as PVE is rather straightforward with spinning up a VM, even more with launching a container.

I started watching a youtube video and it's just too much.

There's always a chance you were watching something wrong.

I admit I have a block/hatred of Linux from trying to play with it in the past and it looks like that hatred will continue.

:D I can self-identify with this the other way around. 10+ years without having to touch Windows, was asked to get MS SQL working according to a "tutorial" and no way to properly update it, non-descriptive error messages, having to point and click same places without any ability to tweak a script. But to each their own. :)

Back to windows where i can al least install it without issue.

BTW I do not know what you meant but "it", but you might as well have tried e.g. Ubuntu install and virt-manager.

I'm sure this is great if I have 100 hours to screw with it, I don't so i'm out. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

PS If you can, please update the title to include NVIDIA, you may help others searching for the same later.

Looks like I'll leave it to you guys. I'm out. 6 hours of messing around and I still have no idea how to even run a VM. I started watching a youtube video and it's just too much. I admit I have a block/hatred of Linux from trying to play with it in the past and it looks like that hatred will continue. Back to windows where i can al least install it without issue. I'm sure this is great if I have 100 hours to screw with it, I don't so i'm out. Thanks for the help.

In Windows Pro or Windows server, do you have hyper-v, good hypervisor. Try this if you want Windows evirnoment.

Last edited:
Looks like here is some basic computer knowledge missing - This is not about Proxmox or Linux in general.
Would be interesting what the intention of OP was installing Proxmox. I assume he wanted to play games on his computer and/or try Linux.
Linux gaming made a huge step the last years with the developlent of Wine/Proton lead by Steam. Most of the games just work out-of-the box. But yes, there is a lot of thinkering possible - and sometimes needed to get the best performance. That's called "learning".

Looks like here is some basic computer knowledge missing - This is not about Proxmox or Linux in general.
Would be interesting what the intention of OP was installing Proxmox. I assume he wanted to play games on his computer and/or try Linux.
Linux gaming made a huge step the last years with the developlent of Wine/Proton lead by Steam. Most of the games just work out-of-the box. But yes, there is a lot of thinkering possible - and sometimes needed to get the best performance. That's called "learning".
My intention was to build a kind of all around computer for the whole house. I had it going with a windows environment, but it seemed really disjointed and required a lot of maintance and expense. I have one computer set up that runs both mine and my wifes computer. I heard unraid and promox makes that easy as you can set up mulitple VM to run different programs. Gaming is a major focus. I went back to windows and use a program called Aster to do that. I am now looking at other options to complete my build through a wondows environment.
This is about promox and linux in general. When I watch a video on how to do something in windows it makes sense, probably because I am really proficient with this environment. When I watch a Linux video by the typical linux nerd, they seem more interested in showing off what they know and don't really dumb it down for the rest of us. "But yes, there is a lot of thinkering possible - and sometimes needed to get the best performance. That's called "learning"." Sometimes? I couldn't even get the fing program installed without adding some BS code because I have an NVIDIA card. I love to learn, I have a masters degree and I am starting school again this August. Linux is just not user friendly in any way and I won't spend hours just trying to install a program. And thanks for the typical Linux fan boi response.

I just glanced at your reply, but I suppose you pulled it right off yourself. I mean, I have not seen anything censored here before.

This forum is quite lively, people try to help. I get frustrated too when others do not quite get the "correct way" I might believe some things should be done. I do not think much of others having different opinions though.

If you are familiar with something that works for you, go for it, there's nothing wrong with it. NVIDIA and Linux is a long story, you pick a party to blame. I do not know if I could myself find a viable use case with PVE for what you were trying to achieve (according to your description) myself. Not every tools fits every use case, every user. If you do not like Linux, you don't like Debian and you won't like PVE - sooner or later the GUI will not be enough to shield you from the inner workings of the underlying system.

This is about promox and linux in general.

I think it's actually related to your specific use case.

When I watch a video on how to do something in windows it makes sense, probably because I am really proficient with this environment. When I watch a Linux video by the typical linux nerd, they seem more interested in showing off what they know and don't really dumb it down for the rest of us.

I do not really watch many videos myself (it takes longer and lots of unnecessary information than just e.g. full-text searching within plethora of resources available to nail down your specific problem). But I had suggested it to you to have a complete walkthrough. I can't speak to the personalities of unknown YouTubers, but those people who actually know a lot do not do what you had described. There are also specific channels which literally live off explaining it from the bottom up, that's how they keep subscribers.

"But yes, there is a lot of thinkering possible - and sometimes needed to get the best performance. That's called "learning"." Sometimes? I couldn't even get the fing program installed without adding some BS code because I have an NVIDIA card.

There's a learning curve to everything, it won't be "just works", what just works is not the kind of setup you are trying to achieve. If you find a commercial solution that some other party took the "learning" part away from you, which is fine, if you value e.g. your time more, good for you!

Linux is just not user friendly in any way and I won't spend hours just trying to install a program.

The market share of UNIX based systems is quite high, there would be a reason to it. It might not be the "user friendly factor". If you look for user friedly flavours of UNIX, look at e.g. Android or Darwin (MacOS). They have one thing in common - the use cases are very consumer focused.

A KVM hypervisor suite that you are looking for, at the current moment, does not exist.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!